cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual-based backup

bgpa
Not applicable

We are very new to the world of virtualisation and backing up virtualised servers. I am interested in the process for performing a virtual based backup BUT with excluding certain folders from the backup set.  The reason for this is that one of our servers has a lot of 'static' data that does not need to be backed up every week.  As such I would like to exclude these folders from the normal weekly/incremental backup cycles.  Could someone advise on:

1.  Can folders be excluded from this type of backup?

2.  If so, where in the backup setup process can you specify the the folders / sub-folders to be excluded?

Thanks for any assistance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

bgpa, you can perform agent based backup of virtual machines if you want to exclude some files and folder

OR

use the deduplication option in Backup Exec for storage so that if you do a VM level backup from the hyper V host even if you dont exclude the VHD, with dedupe atleast your storage space

is optimized.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

kf2013
   VIP   

I think you can't exclude it. Even backup exec can't exclude a VHD from the backup. I know some Backup software can exclude a VHD, and then you can put thos files to this VHD.

I dont know why BE can't do it...

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000075995

Virtual Machines

This item includes each virtual machine that resides on the virtual server.

Note:

When you select an individual virtual machine, the files that are on that virtual machine appear in the results pane. However, you cannot select individual files to include in or exclude from the backup.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

bgpa, you can perform agent based backup of virtual machines if you want to exclude some files and folder

OR

use the deduplication option in Backup Exec for storage so that if you do a VM level backup from the hyper V host even if you dont exclude the VHD, with dedupe atleast your storage space

is optimized.