cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual machine backup

rsiddiqi
Level 5

I do full backup of Virtual machines (Windows 2008/2012) on weekends. I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3. If there is a server crash during weekend I am able to restore the full server from weekend copy however it will not be upto date. I am looking to backup system state and shadow copy components of all virtual servers during weekdays. So when server crash during weekdays I can restore it from weekend copy and then update system state and shodow copy component from weekdays backup copy.

Will this going to work? Any ideas?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

System State/Shadow Copy Components do not contain data that change very often. Instead of backing up just these components on a daily basis (on weekdays), why not run a full backup of the complete system on weekends and on the other days, run incremental/differentials instead ?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Yes...the restore depends on whether or not you do Incremental or Differential backups.

Read the Admin Guide for more information on this, and how to do the restores.

Thanks!

rsiddiqi
Level 5

During weekdays, I will do full system and shadow copy components back for all Windows virtual servers so there will be no Incremental or Differential backups during weekdays. I will take the latest copy (the day before the server crash) after a full restore from weekend job and apply the changes.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

System State/Shadow Copy Components do not contain data that change very often. Instead of backing up just these components on a daily basis (on weekdays), why not run a full backup of the complete system on weekends and on the other days, run incremental/differentials instead ?

rsiddiqi
Level 5

Correct. The data is backup separately during weekdays and weekend.