cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtualize BackupExec server and restore VM

jpmichelino
Level 4
Partner

Hello, I am making a Contingency Site  for a customers. That site will have one or two virtual machine, won't be a big deployment. I have some questions:
1) If I have a Tape Medioa with a backup's Virtual Machine, Is possible to make a restore (only restore) of a VM VMWare without Backup Exec?
2) Is possible virtualize a BackupExec Server on VMWare?
3) Can I read from Windows Server a Tape Media written by BackupExec?
4) Is possible restore a VM in the same host that the Virtual BackupExec server is running?
Thanks a lot...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1) Yes, you will require BE to restore a complete VM.

2) Running BE inside a VM is not recommended, and has some limitations, see http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609

3) Since Windows 2008 the Microsoft Backup program in Windows does not support a tape device anymore.

4)Yes, but again, running BE inside a VM is limited supported.

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Note that backing up to a real device from a virtualized media server is not supported. The document referenced earlier stated that backing up to tape drive is an alternate configuration. You should read carefully what an alternative configuration entails. Also note that VMware does not support tape pass-thru from ESX 5.x so that document does not apply to ESX 5.x

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1) Yes, you will require BE to restore a complete VM.

2) Running BE inside a VM is not recommended, and has some limitations, see http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609

3) Since Windows 2008 the Microsoft Backup program in Windows does not support a tape device anymore.

4)Yes, but again, running BE inside a VM is limited supported.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Note that backing up to a real device from a virtualized media server is not supported. The document referenced earlier stated that backing up to tape drive is an alternate configuration. You should read carefully what an alternative configuration entails. Also note that VMware does not support tape pass-thru from ESX 5.x so that document does not apply to ESX 5.x

jpmichelino
Level 4
Partner

Thank ZeRoC00L and pkh for your help!.