cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtualized Exchange Server 2010 Recover

gycsernak
Level 2

I've an Exchange Server 2010, which runs on a WinSrv2008 R2 virtual machine. I backed up daily this machine (entire VM) with Backup Exec 2015. I restored the VM into an separetad network, furthermore I restored the primary and secondary Domain Controllers from .vhdx files. Unfortunately, when I turned on the Exchange server's VM I got an error: Microsoft Emulated IDE Controller (Instance ID ....): Failed to Power on with Error 'The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.'.

If I start the secondary DC, I couldn't login with Domain Administrator account. And the primary DC crashes with a BSOD.
I read some disaster recovery plan about DCs and mail server, but I don't know yet how can restore the Exchange Server from .vhd to operate successful?

Regards,
György

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Sounds like a corrupt VHD. Try this blog post - http://blogs.technet.com/b/tonyso/archive/2011/12/06/how-to-fix-a-corrupted-hyper-v-vhd-file.aspx

gycsernak
Level 2

I've checked the original mail server with Inspect button at Hyper-V manager, it was healthy. I tried to restore from 2 different Backup Exec backup sets(dedup store,tape too) and 1 virtual checkpoint(export vhd feature), and the result was the same error. I restored the VM to another Hyper-V host. Is it accessable a good workaround? Did somebody meet with this situation?