cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VixDiskLib_Read() reported the error: You have requested access to an area of the virtual disk that is out of bounds

psvag
Level 3

Hi,

we are using Backup Exec 2010 R2 Rev. 4164 on a Windows 2008 R2 Server.

The backup of our virtual machines (ESX-Server 4.1 all updates installed) works fine - with one exeption. On one machine (Windows 2008 R2, with 4 vmdk-files) we are receiving the following error:

VixDiskLib_Read() reported the error: You have requested access to an area of the virtual disk that is out of bounds

Every article I found tells me, that this error was resolved with Backup Exec 2010 R2, but it isn't.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Frauke

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello 

I guess the issue is still not resolved. Below is an open Etrack

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH143744

Note: Etracks are known issues.

Colin_Weaver

Bit more info- we can't reproduce this and belive it is something within the make up of the affected VMDK itself - as we can't reproduce it is proving difficult to research it and customers therefore are encouraged to work with us in formal support cases not via the forums.

Some customers have found that resizing the VMDK with tools from VMWare resolves the problem - although this doesn't help us identify the exact cause and apparently does not fix all customers.

psvag
Level 3

Thanks for your replys. When I tried to call Symantec support last time, I was put on hold for one hour! The call was about another problem and the answer I got was not convincing. So this discouraged me and now I am trying to get help in a forum.

What kind of information do you need? I can provide you with some details:

The message says that one of the vmdk-files (the 80 GB file) is damaged. It seems interesting to me, that the names of the non-damaged files are servername_1.vmdk, servername_2.vmdk and servername_3.vmdk, but the name of the damaged file ist servername_1.1.vmdk. Could that be a hint?

The size of the vmdk-files: 30 GB, 80 GB, 25 GB, 50 GB.

Are there tools to test the damaged file?

Do you need any other information?

Thanks in advance,

Frauke

Colin_Weaver

With regards tools for fixing/testing the vmdk files then you probabkly need to speak to VMware not Symantec. All we can currently tell at the moment is that we make a software call to into ESX to provide details of the virtuial system and we then make a call to backup that system based on the details provided. Some difference between the details provided and what is actually supplied to the backup request cause the error. (Note this is a simple overview of the issue)

As such the information we are currently trying to get is a complete copy of a VM that has the problem (because we cannot reproduce) - Due to Data Protection and other issues this sort of request has to be handled as a formal support case.

Also with regards to the file names - if you list the contents of file system of your Datastore against the folder for the VM in question (using SSH not using Datastore Browser) you will see a lot of filenames that are hidden from you in other views of the same storage.