cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware Agente Licensing

JavierTI
Level 5

I have understood that the agent can vmware backup machine and Restoration Projects, my practice is to restore an application, such as SQL databases, so I need to install the agent GRT Windows agent also need an additional license for Windows or only with vmware license is sufficient.

PD. Use the Symantec Backup Exec 2012.
I await your prompt replies.
Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

IF you have vmware license , and if you want to backup the application like SQL ,Exchange you need license for that application and for windows remote agent no license is required If you buy an AVVI license than you can install RAWS on all the VM's without RAWS license.RAWS license is included in the AVVI license. You will need 1 AVVI license per ESX.

Hope that helps

Thanks

JavierTI
Level 5

Good detail, but that is AVVI ESX license, I have only vmware license. a link where you can document both characteristics??
Thank you.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Vmware license is only AVVI license called Agent for vmaware virtual Infrastructure so don't worry it is the same. But the one I have explained above would be same so no difference in AVVI & Vmware

Please check the BE 2012 licensing guide too

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178479

Thanks

JavierTI
Level 5

good afternoon, to be sure, then the vmware license facilitates me to back up a virtual machine and how to apply it in just as the data can be restored but not as application.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

With backup exec when you backup the virtul machine by default the file level GRT option is ON and if you are not worried about APP GRT for virtual machine backup you can disable it & End of the successfull backup of virtual machine it gives you ability to resotre the individual file and folder in virtual machine or the entire vmdk too

Hope that helps

Thanks

JavierTI
Level 5

I understand, but if my virtual server is SQL or Exchange, and I need to restore using GRT license application or is it enough with vmware license, do I want to be sure and if I can give a link to support it.

Thank you.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi To use Granular Recovery Technology for individual items from Microsoft Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint, or SQL, do the following: Ensure that you have a valid license for each application that you want to protect. For same please check below link which describes the details http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74443 Hope that helps to clear your doubts Thanks

JavierTI
Level 5

One more query, if I have my license so I can restore vmware virtual machine granular and view the files???

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Yes if you have vmware license & and if you have taken GRT backup of virtual machine then you can view GRT  in the restore selections and also you can restore it.

Thanks

JavierTI
Level 5

good morning I have a query on vmware agent, GRT restoration should be that when I go to restoration and choose to restore the virtual machine must show me the folders in the virtual or not. or that time or I am doing wrong. and you install the VSS, the Symantec this default as the virtual copy and shadow copy this second .... I do????

JavierTI
Level 5

Adding my previous comment, as pictured there is where it should be granular restoration????