Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware backup failing with Backup Exec 2012

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

I need a help,

Vmware snapshot backups are failing with Backup Exec 2012, its giving error as  ¨there is a changes in the backup policy¨ and error code : v-79-32768-16389

I guide, this is issue with snapshot cache file in datastore, snapshot file is missmatch, can any one let me know the snapshot cache file location to delete manually and try for new snapshot or guide me how to fix this issue.

Thank you

13 REPLIES 13

theOnkar
Level 4
Employee

You can delete the existing snapshot from the snapshot manager.

What is the version of ESX ?

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

VMware version ESXi 5.x

can you please guide me, how to delete snapshot cache file from snapshot manager.

Thank you,

theOnkar
Level 4
Employee

Please state the version of ESX correctly. Is it 5.1 ?

Please elaborate your issue. What do you mean by snapshot cache ?

Do you see any snapshot in the Snapshot manager ?

On the Datastore, under the machine on which you have issues , verify if you have any .VMSN files.

You may delete those files to delete the snapshots.

King_Julien
Level 5
  1. Login to your vcenter
  2. Locate the VM
  3. right click on it
  4. select "snapshot manager"
  5. If any snapshot exists, click "delete all"

You can identify which server have snapshots in "storage view" tab, on column "snapshots".

If you are not sure about this procedure, contact vmware support for assistance.

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

I deleted snapshot from snapshot manager, but still vmware backup jobs are failing with Backup exec 2012, can anyone help me to fix this issue.

King_Julien
Level 5

Hold it... if your error is  v-79-32768-16389 I found http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH53004

As mentioned by TheOnkar... could you, please, elaborate your issue? Can you past the exact error message?

Regards.

theOnkar
Level 4
Employee

What is the error ?

Are you taking a GRT Backup ? Where are you taking the backup? [Disk or Tape].

Check http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129724

Please elaborate your issue.

1. Open the troubled Job log. 
2. Click "Errors". Usually its in RED color.
3. Mention that error in the reply. Scroll down and copy the entire error, including the path of the Virtual machine and mention that too in the reply.

A screenshot will be more helpful.

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

Backup exec verison 2012

vmware : 5.1

we configured vmware snapshot backup with backup exec 2012, around 20 virtual machines, all virtual machines backups are fine, except 1 VM (linux) , but all are virutla machines are fine and credencial are good

if I unselect that 1 vm (linux), then backup is getting successful,

and also GRT is enable, then backup job is getting fail, if uncheck GRT, then backup job is running fine and getting successful.

King_Julien
Level 5

GRT for Linux is not going to work. 

Are you trying to backup Exchange, SQL, Active Directory or Sharepoint with GRT?

If you are mixing Windows and Linux systems into one job, then I will suggest you to split that job in two and disable GRT for the linux job. 

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

yes, we have exchange 2010 in VM with 4 DAG, so we need to enable GRT

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@NBU_13 -

Note that ESX 5.1 is currently not supported.  See this blog

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vsphere-51-support-update

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

@NBU_13

Additionally to what pkh says, Distributed applications on multiple servers like Exchange DAG, Share Point multiServer farms are not supported with AVVI or Hyper-V Application GRT. These need to be backed up using traditional Agent.

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

Exchange backup with 2 CAS and 2 DAG, if we run all database for this Exchange backup, its getting fail with VSS issue due to only one database, but if I run particular database seperately, then its running fine and completing successfully.

refer error message :

Backup-10.0.0.244 - Technology Snapshot: initialization error: "\ \ 10.0.0.244 \ I:". Snapshot Technology used: Service Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS).

V-79-10000-11219 - VSS Snapshot error. It is possible that the volume or the volume generated snapshot is not available or does not exist. Check the settings snapshot technology and rerun the job.