cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume Shadow Copy Service Error - 8004230f - 0x8004230f (2147754767)

BKumbhala
Level 3
Hi All,

I am taking backup of VHD of my server by using Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for windows servers. Suddenly my backup is failed and giving the error below.
Error                  : 8004230f - 0x8004230f (2147754767)

Here I am posting more details for you. Please give me the solution and Thanks in advance.

Here are the details ..

1. I am using Backup Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers
2. Windows Server 2008 with SP1
3. VSSADMIN List Providers:

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
   Provider type: System
   Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
   Version: 1.0.0.7

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I am posting here recent backup fail error message...

Backup- server.domain.com - AOFO: Initialization failure on:

"VRTSRV::\\server.domain.com\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\backupsystem". Advanced Open File Option used:
Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider
selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be
started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\server.domain.com\Hyper-V?Store\Initial Store".

Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider
selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be
started. Check the Windows Event Viewer fot details.

Please check the above and provide me the solution for this.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Babu Kumbhala

1 REPLY 1

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Check for the following evnt logs

Event Type: Error

Event Source: VSS

Event Category: None

Event ID: 11

Date: 10/19/2004

Time: 2:26:25 AM

User: N/A

Computer:

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID

{3ad41ba8-06ce-4a6f-94b2-bc8cde6ab807} and name SW_PROV cannot be

started. [0x80070005]

Event Type: Error

Event Source: VSS

Event Category: None

Event ID: 12292

Date: 10/19/2004

Time: 2:26:25 AM

User: N/A

Computer:

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy

Provider COM class with CLSID {3ad41ba8-06ce-4a6f-94b2-bc8cde6ab807}

[0x80070005].

1. The error may be caused by having a 3rd party VSS Provider installed on the problem computer.  If this is the case and the backup job is set to allow VSS to select the provider, VSS will assign the 3rd party provider to the backup job.  Since the 3rd party provider is usually only designed to work with the software which installed it, VSS will error out when attempting to snapshot the system.  This type of problem is described in the following Microsoft article:

In order to force the Backup Exec backup job to use the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider, edit the backup job and go to the Advanced Open File tab.  Under "Open file configuration" select "Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Server (Windows 2003 and later)".  Then, click the drop-down box next to "Snapshot provider" and set it to "System - Use Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider".  Submit the job after this change is made.

2. If the backup job is set to use the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and is still getting the error, ensure that the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service is set to a start type of either Manual or Automatic.  This error will be generated if the service is set to Disabled.