cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W2k8 Server

Mjahtetn
Level 6

I have Backup Exec 2010 installed on a W2k8 server. I want to use it to backup a W2k3 server via the network. Can you tell me what agent I need to purchase

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Hello!

You need to purchase a "Remote Agent for Windows Servers" You need one agent license per windows server. Be advised that if the server has SQL, Exchange or Sharepoint, you will need corresponding agent license for every application. The agent license comes bundled with a remote agent, so if for e.g. you purchase a "Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server" it comes bundled with a Remote Agent that allows you to backup the server file system and exchange.

Note: In the backup exec console, go to Tools > Install agents and license keys on this media server and add the license key number you receive from Symantec. By default you can backup the server from the network in evaluation (without license key) upto 60 days.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Hello!

You need to purchase a "Remote Agent for Windows Servers" You need one agent license per windows server. Be advised that if the server has SQL, Exchange or Sharepoint, you will need corresponding agent license for every application. The agent license comes bundled with a remote agent, so if for e.g. you purchase a "Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server" it comes bundled with a Remote Agent that allows you to backup the server file system and exchange.

Note: In the backup exec console, go to Tools > Install agents and license keys on this media server and add the license key number you receive from Symantec. By default you can backup the server from the network in evaluation (without license key) upto 60 days.

Hope this helps!

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Even if you have just the base product license you can evaluate the other agents and options for 60 days.

The counter starts from the day you use that option for the first time.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Could you please mark the post as resolved if that answers you query . Thanks ... Cheers .

Mjahtetn
Level 6

Is agent for windows system available for trialware. I was told that there are agents and options not available. Please correct me, if Im wrong. thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

From the time you start backing up the remote server , the License of Windows remote agent get activated for 60 days ...so the backup of the remote server will run fine for 60 days and after that it would error asking for license...

if you have installed any remote agent license already , you cannot use the evaualtion option for remote agent

refer the following document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125465

Mjahtetn
Level 6

Right! Thanks for the info!..

SaurabhK
Level 4
Employee

Also refer to Licensing Guide for BE 2010 at the following location for more information on licensing.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125462