cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WORK ??? (Backup Exec 12 agent + Backup Exec 2012 server)

William_Lawance
Level 6

Backup Exec 2012 (14.0) was installed on new server, current client agent is Backup exec 12 (12.0).

Since add server in Backup Exec 2012 need to install agent, is Backup Exec 12 server complitable with Backup agent 14.0 ??

Any procredure to migrate all settings from Backup Exec 12 to Backup Exec 2012.

24 REPLIES 24

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE 2012 would backward support upto BE 12.5 and not BE 12.0

There are couple of options. Either you can choose a multi-step upgrade from BE 12.0 - BE 2012 (if you want to retain existing settings), else if these settings/jobs etc are not required to be retained and should you wish to start anew, you may consider a fresh install of BE 2012.

Upgrade would require an intermediate upgrade to either BE 12.5 or BE 2010 and then upgrade to BE 2012

These KBs may help ~

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73273

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180232

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi Vivek,

BE 2012 is fresh installation in new server, this it is not a upgrade.

I just concerning about agent upgrade from BE 12 to BE 2012. Since I don't want to stop daily backup after upgraded BE 2012 agent.

Or can I configure all backup schedule in BE 2012 server before upgrade BE agent ??

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

I would recommend to uninstall BE 12 from the remote server and then install the newer BE 2012 agent.

And yes, you can continue configuring other backup settings/configurations prior to upgrading the agent as long as the backup itself runs after BE 2012 agent is installed.

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi Vivek,

Since agent version is incompatible (BE 12 agent and BE 2012 server), I can't make the schedule.

Anyway to do it ??

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

This is the same behavior I am getting on my test machine as well. Looks like, the agent on the remote server needs to be upgraded or atleast be at a compatible version before editing the backup job.

Apologies for the incorrect info earlier, and in this case, you'll have to install a compatible remote agent on the remote server and then setup the backup job.

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi Vivek,

That's mean I have to stop the backup job on current BE 12 server or done all backup setting on new BE 2012 server, otherwise all backup jobs will be stopped.

Since I have no experience on BE server configuration, any procedure can reference for configuration ??

Like config storage, schedule, etc.

Also what is better the create slot partition of backup tape ??

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

Do you already have an existing BE 12.0 media server in addition to the new BE 2012 media server ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Simple...

1. Upgrade the agent via a push-install from the BE 2012 media server. This is going to populate the media server and you'll be able to configure a backup job.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH179142

2. COnfigure the backup job...see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i8M9T1-Ms0

Thanks!

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi Vivek,

No, fresh installed BE 2012 only

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi CraigV,

Since BE 12 agent still using for backup. Once upgraded to BE 2012 agent, all current backup jobs not work ?? Otherwise, I have to config all backup jobs before daily backup.

VJware
Level 6

If there is only one media server (which is running BE 2012), then the remote server with BE 12 must not be running a backup, right..

In this case, install the newer agent and then reconfigure all backup jobs for this remote server.

CraigV

...if you have a BE 12.0 media server backing up that server in question and you upgrade the remote agent to BE 2012, then backups from the old server won't work...you're effectively cutting the agent across to the new server.

Thanks!

William_Lawance
Level 6

1) If upgraded to BE 2012 agent, all current backup jobs can't be use. Thus, I have to setup all backup jobs in BE 2012 server. Othwise, all backup need to puase.

2) I have no idea to create partition of tape slots, any idea ??

CraigV

1. Yes...you'd need to do this as it is going to point to a new media server. You'd be able to restore data new server, but not back it up via the old server.

.2 Partitioning your library won't work...both media servers run different versions of Backup Exec so using Enterprise Server Option with SAN SSO (assuming you had a SAN-attached media server + tape library) won't work.

You're effectively decommissioning your old media server for backups of this server.

Thanks!

William_Lawance
Level 6

1) Then I have only few hours to make the backup config on new BE 2012 server .....

2) Partition for Tape Library slots. Don't know how to do ??

CraigV

1. Yes.

2. Who suggested partitioning the tape library? Is this the same library used by the BE 12.0 media server? In which case it's not possible to be shared between the 2 because of the 2 different versions of BE. 1 media server is going to lock that library preventing the other from accessing it.

Thanks!

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi CraigV,

2) This also a new tape library (TS 3100) connected with the new BE 2012 server.

- No need to make partition ??

- How to select different tape for daily backup ??

CraigV

Hi,

Probably no need to create partitions...you haven't actually mentioned the setup of your BE 2012 server anyways so I won't comment on that.

When you create your jobs in BE 2012 it will use a new tape by default anyway unless you append. Just create the jobs, target the media set and let it run.

I'd also recommend checking out the Videos section on this forum, as well as the Admin Guide for BE 2012...both will help you understand some of the new concepts of BE 2012 better.

Thanks!

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi CraigV,

I want daily backup with individual tape, then 7 tapes need for one week.

How to set it ??

Thanks