cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WSS3.0 Backup w/ 2010 & DB server w/ 12d

Steve1716
Level 3

I just installed BE 2010R2 on a server and the Agent on my WSS 3.0 server.  My database server has Agent 12d installed on it.  My question is, does my database server (SQL 2005) need to be backed up with the 2010 agent as well for the Sharepoint Farm to be backed up successfully?  I'm getting the message stating that the "Logon account that was provided does not have the appropriate privleges.."  I've tried a couple different domain admin accounts but it doesn't solve the problem.

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Typically, BackupExec will support a media server talking to an agent that is one level back.  So a 20102R2 server will talk to a 2010 agent,  while a 2010 server will talk to a v12.5 agent. BUT this is only "for the purpose of rolling upgrades"  (quote from the SCL)

To be in compliance with the Symantec Licensing scheme, all your agents need to be at the same release (and preferably the same build) as your media server.

Not sure what you mean by v12d.  v12.5 supports both WSS 3.0 and SQL 2005

macpiano
Level 6

With WSS you can just use the builtin STSADM.exe to backup your Sharepoint into one file and then have BE backup that. You would need to use a script.

Mine is @ echo off
c:\stsadm.exe -o backup -url http://10.214.21.17 -filename \\del-fs\sharepoint\nccvtbackup.dat -overwrite

where 10.214.21.17 is my Sharepoint server and the del-fs is my file server. It has to overwirte it but since BE is backing it up every night just like a regular file not a problem. I run the script everynight with the task scheduler.

Even though it restores the whole site which I have done on 2 times where the server blew up you can extract out of it what you need.

Not elegant but the price is right, no sql or sharepoint license needed.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should, like Ken said, upgrade your remote agent to BE 2010 R2 so that you enjoy all the new enhancements.

You do not need to backup the individual SQL databases once you have backed up the Sharepoint Farm.

I recall that some users said that the BESA needs to have the following

1) local administrator rights on all servers in the SharePoint farm.

2) SharePoint administrator rights

3) sysadm role for each of the SharePoint databases

Steve1716
Level 3

Sorry....the 12d part was a typo.  It is Backup Exec 12 that I'm backing up my SQL server with and Backup Exec 2010 R2 that is backing up my sharepoint server.  So beings that I am on 2010 R2 it won't talk to 12 beings that that is technically two versions back...correct?

I'm going to work with my DBA to try to get the Logon permission problem fixed when I test credentials.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

a 2010R2 media server may talk to a v12.0 RAWS, but even if it connects, is unsupported, and you may get invalid backups or "unexpected results"

Be that as it may, you need to upgrade all of your RAWS to 2010R2 to get into licensing compliance.   Don't know how picky your auditors are, or even if you are periodically audited, but that can be a ding against you.

Steve1716
Level 3

The licensing is all in check as we have only a few 2010 licenses (SharePoint/Hyper-V) that we are only backing up those systems.  The other licensed server is v12, which is fully licensed for the rest of my servers.  I suspect at a later date we will upgrade all to 2010 R2.  I suspect that the issue that I am experiencing has to do with my SQL box having a 12 agent on it, and the rest of my farm is being backed up with 2010.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

OK

I suspect that the issue that I am experiencing has to do with my SQL box having a 12 agent on it, and the rest of my farm is being backed up with 2010.

That could indeed be a problem.  Sounds like it's time to migrate the SQL backup into 2010 and put a 2010 Agent on that box