cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted to try out a trial, can't start it up

Liam4392
Level 2

Hello everyone,

The company I work for has asked me to try out a couple of back-up and recovery applications. I wanted to try Veritas Backup Exec out as well so I downloaded the trial. I installed it without any problems whatsoever but when trying to start it I get an error. The error tells me Windows cannot access the file, I also attached a screenshot of the error. Not sure what to do here, tried to give the installation folder more permissions and also tried reinstalling it, both with no luck. Looked around already on the internet to see if anyone else had this problem, couldn't find any. Anyone know what could be causing this?

By the way, this is Backup Exec 21 trial, the forum wouldn't let me choose product version 20.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

PJ_Backup
Employee

If you try logging on as the user that the Backup Exec services use, does that make any difference? Also can you check what user the Backup Exec Lockdown Server Service is running under - it should be Local System.

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Check if the .exe file is blocked, 'Method 5' in following article :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2669244/windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-...

Thanks and Regards

It makes no difference. Also the service is not running but it does log on as Local System.

I have tried this, there is no visible unblock button however.

RogRubin
Employee

If you browse to the Backup Exec directory and then right click on the file itself and select "run as administrator"; do you receive the same popup message or a different one?

Trying to run the file as administrator results in the exact same error.

cmorrison
Level 0

I have this same problem with Backup Exec 21. I cannot get the installer to run properly. It just starts the installer and then crashes and does nothing and reports nothing. No error message or anything. This is a trial version of Backup Exec 21.