cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly backup schedule keeps skipping a week

gshawns
Level 4
Hi.  I keep having a problem where my weekly full backups will run and 85% of the jobs will reschedule themselves to run the following week but a handful of jobs will reschedule to run two weeks later.  For example, our weekend jobs just ran between 8/10 - 8/13 to do full B2D backups (and duplicate to tape) 52 servers.  In the job monitor, the fulls are scheduled to run again between 8/17 - 8/20, but there are a few jobs that aren't scheduled to run again until 8/24 or 8/25.  I have been right-clicking on the jobs and clicking "edit next run" to get them to run at the right time but would rather it was automatic like all the other jobs.  All the settings appear to be correct.  In fact, these jobs are part of a policy and all the other jobs in the policy are rescheduling correctly.
Thanks!
26 REPLIES 26

gshawns
Level 4
Does anybody have any suggestions why this might be happening?

Todd_White_2
Level 3
check this article out and see if it matches your issue.

I too am having issues with some servers running 11.d, NOT ALL, where the full backup job will be skipped. 

I DON'T LIKE THIS ANSWER: 
This issue is currently being considered by Symantec  to be addressed in the next major revision of the product. There are no plans to address this issue by way of a patch or hotfix in the current or previous versions of the software at the present time

gshawns
Level 4
Hi Todd,  This is similar except that we aren't doing a monthly backup.  We are only running weekly fulls and daily diffs.  btw - I am using v11d.

Message Edited by gshawns on 08-15-200703:03 PM

Todd_White_2
Level 3
that is what I stated in the post using 11d on full backup jobs.

gshawns
Level 4
Yes, I just wanted to mention that I, too, am using version 11d...

Does anyone have a solution besides editing the "next run" each week?
(Does Symantec even read these anymore?  )

John_T__Croson
Level 4
I was having the same issue, until I created a backup policy, and used this method instead.

gshawns
Level 4
That is the part that doesn't make sense.  All of the jobs are based on policies AND there are other jobs tied to the exact same policies that do not have this problem...

John_T__Croson
Level 4
Well, that sounds strange.

What my SOP has been since I used BE 7.x was if the job starts having issues, delete it, and recreate it. Have you tried that?

Todd_White_2
Level 3
Re-creating jobs didn't work for meSmiley Mad

gshawns
Level 4
I just deleted the jobs and recreated them and it did reset the schedule for them to run this weekend.  I won't know if it fixed the problem until after the fulls run this weekend.  Then we will see if they reschedule to run the following weekend or skip a week...

John_T__Croson
Level 4
Mmm. That stinks, and it's clear that Symantec is loosing their grip on the customer support side of their business, since I've had a couple of issues that took quite some time to clear up.

Maybe I'll dig up that old copy of ArcServe that I used to complain about...yech!

Thank God I've got tar, rsync and Mondo for my other boxes...

DY
Level 4
We have this problem occasionally as well.  I know I read an article somewhere that said Symantec was aware of the problem but had no fix yet.

It seems to be a problem with the scheduler part of the job.  I have been able to set it to "Run Now" with the "Submit on Hold" option selected (so it doesn't run!), then go back in and reset the schedule properly.  Every time the problem has come up this fixes it.  Recreating the job will work too, but that's an awful lot of work just for a scheduling problem.

Todd_White_2
Level 3
This works temporarily but if you edit a job or restart the BE services this will eventually happen again.

gshawns
Level 4
The backups ran this weekend but 3 jobs still skipped a week and aren't scheduled to run again until 9/1.  Last week there were 6 jobs that did this and this week only 3.  Interesting though, these are the same jobs (3 of the 6) that I deleted and recreated last week so that didn't help.  Will Symantec ever take a look at this?

Kingsley_Mok
Level 5
To all,

I have the same problem.  The problem is in the program itself.  It >IS< a bug.

1.)  Tried deleting the job and creating the job list.  Doesn't work.
2.)  Installed the latest hot fixes.  Doesn't work.
3.)  Tried even just one job with with server as a test and it still skips to the next week!

The skipping only happens when you rotate the tapes out and put the new ones in.

The only work around with we up with is every time we rotate the tapes, we run the job, then cancel it right away and the job reverts back to normal schedule.  Then we do a quick erase on the tape--of course.

Cumbersome, but stupid on Symantec's part.

Kent_Wyatt
Level 3
I can join the club of having the same issue.

I upgraded to v11 about 3 weeks or so ago now.

I have policies and selection lists setup for daily diff, weekly full and monthly full.

The weekly and monthly fulls run fine.

The daily diff skips the first day after the full.

No log is generated, no error reported, I run an inventory job before that runs fine. The day it is supposed to run it does show as scheduled, the time hits, it doesn't run, hit refresh and now it shows scheduled for the next day.

I have deleted all policies, selection lists, and jobs and recreated it all manually. Rant for a minute - upgrading BE these days is like reimplementing everything, since 8.5 there has not been an upgrade that didn't take a caboodle of time to get running right. For some reason or another I've ended up have to delete the entire setup and recreate it manually in every version since. and its never actually fixed the issue anyway but had to do it to satisfy support. ridiculous.

No effect, still skips the first day with no information.

Someone said this has been a known issue for a while now.

gshawns
Level 4
Kent,

I think I can help you with your problem.  It sounds like the same problem I had when I first setup my policies...

When you create the policies there is a rule that says something along the lines of "if start times conflict, weekly job supercedes daily job."  If you have a weekly job that runs early Monday morning (Sunday night) and a daily job that runs Monday night, they will conflict because the they both are scheduled to run on the same day.  So the weekly job will run (or whichever job is specified in the conflict rule) and the daily job will be skipped.

Try removing that rule and see if it helps.

gshawns
Level 4
It would be nice if Symantec at least had the courtesy acknowledge this thread.  Even a response like "We're sorry you have a problem" is better than just ignoring it and hoping it will go away.

John_T__Croson
Level 4
Funny, just saw a new hotfix (13 of ??) released on the 21st...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290135.htm

Seems this hotfix attempts to resolve an issue that is closely related to yours.