cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Agents/Options are needed to backup Windows 2008R2 Domain Controller?

DanielL
Not applicable
What agents or Options are needed to backup Windows Server 2008R2 Domain Controller using Backup Exec 2010?

There are no SQL or Exchange data. Server -- just files.

When I use evaluation copy of Backup Exec 2010 and try to backup the System State, I receive an error message that states that I need the Virtual FIle Filter. The VFF only comes with agents for Active Directory, Exchange, Sharepoint, etc. These agents are expensive options -- especially if the client's server has no Exhange or Sharepoint installation.

Are there any other method for backing up Server 2008R2's System State?

Thanks, Dan L.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

IF you want to backup The domain controller using the Granular restore technology you would need the ADRA option . Once you have installed the option you can perform Granular backup which would allow you to restore individual object in your AD. 
 The Backup Exec Virtual File Filter (VFF) drivers are installed only if the Active Directory Recovery Agent (ADRA) or the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange is selected for installation.
The error does not occur if "Enable the restore of individual objects from Active Directory backups" is unchecked from the Active Directory page of the Backup Job Properties window

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

No special agent is required for Backing up a domain controller, just the Remote Agent will take care of the AD database backups.

Could you paste the exact error message or the failed job logs?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

IF you want to backup The domain controller using the Granular restore technology you would need the ADRA option . Once you have installed the option you can perform Granular backup which would allow you to restore individual object in your AD. 
 The Backup Exec Virtual File Filter (VFF) drivers are installed only if the Active Directory Recovery Agent (ADRA) or the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange is selected for installation.
The error does not occur if "Enable the restore of individual objects from Active Directory backups" is unchecked from the Active Directory page of the Backup Job Properties window