cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Agents do I need for BE 2014 for Exchange 2010 in VM Environment?

2tango2
Level 2

Here is the setup:

Exchange Server 2010 VM and Backup Exec 2014 VM are 2 virtual machines hosted in a ESXI Environment.  Updated BE to the latest service pack

Plan is to backup to an EMC DD160 Dedupe and then to a tape Library (HP Storageworks)

We have purchased and installed the Dedupe Option License and have installed it.  Have done some test backups to the DD160 and it is working.  When I kick off the job I get the "Back Up Virtual Machine" popup box recommending to select the virtual machine through the virtual host view.

We have also purchased the Backup Exec Agent License for Applications and Databases and have activated it.

The Backup Exec Agent for Windows is installed on the Exchange Server.

We'd like to be able to restore down to the mailbox/message level

Now my questions and hope I am asking these right:

1) Does the Agent for Applications and Databases need to be pushed to the Exchange Server or not?  I didn't see a way to do that as when attempting to push it out remotely the only agent showing to push is the one for Windows.

2) Do I need to purchase the Agent for VMware and Hyper V in addition to what I already have?

3) Are there any more agents that need to be purchased in order to backup a VM Exchange 2010 server down to the Granular level?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. No...the RAWS agent is used to communicate from the remote server to the media server, where the license unlocks the functionality to "see" Exchange. No further installation, other than the RAWS agent is required on the Exchange server.

2. If you want to backup the VM in its entirety, then yes, the Hyper-V agent allows this. The Exchange agent though, will allow you to do GRT-based backups and restores of Exchange, and for this reason would be required. If you don't have the Hyper-V agent, you'd be backing up the VM as if it were a physical server.

3. No.

Just bear in mind that running BE on a VM is strictly not supported by Symantec when accessing real devices like tape. Read below on this...ideally your media server should be a physical server.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. No...the RAWS agent is used to communicate from the remote server to the media server, where the license unlocks the functionality to "see" Exchange. No further installation, other than the RAWS agent is required on the Exchange server.

2. If you want to backup the VM in its entirety, then yes, the Hyper-V agent allows this. The Exchange agent though, will allow you to do GRT-based backups and restores of Exchange, and for this reason would be required. If you don't have the Hyper-V agent, you'd be backing up the VM as if it were a physical server.

3. No.

Just bear in mind that running BE on a VM is strictly not supported by Symantec when accessing real devices like tape. Read below on this...ideally your media server should be a physical server.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are using ESX 5.x, then accessing a tape drive attached to the host is not supported by VMware and hence BE.  See this document

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1016407

I doubt your DD is attached to the media server VM using iSCSI, so it too is not supported.  It may work, but you would have a problem when you need to open a support case for it.