cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the best practice for Backup Exec 2012 Database maintenance plan and settings ?

John_Santana
Level 6

People,

I got BE 2012 that is running using separate SQL Server 2012 database managed by a DBA, so may i know if the below screenshot of the default maintenance plan is sufficient or does my DBA must run something or can adjust the tweaking according to the other normal Application Server database ?

here's the screenshot of what it is now:

BE-DB.JPG

should I enable some other options or just leave it like that to avoid current backup job interruptions ?

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can alter the database maintenance time such that it does not interfere / conflict with the backup jobs.

For optimal peformance, its better to enable other options as well, i.e. Perform database consistency check and optimize database size. However, when these options are enabled, do ensure the database maintenance is run when there is minimal Backup Exec activity (preferably when no jobs are scheduled)

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi VJ,

Does BE 2012 is intelligent enough not to perform Database maintenance operation especially database shrinking (Optimize Database Size) and performing consistency check while there is monthly tape out job ?

Usually my Montlhy Backup Exec tape out job runs for one week (6 days). 

VJware
Level 6

If the Database Maintenance time coincides with a backup job, the maintenance will still run with all enabled options.. You could consider to disable the maintenance during the monthly backup or else uncheck the optimize db size option prior to the monthly full backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Running BEDB maintenance together with backup jobs can sometimes produce strange results.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

It is not recommended to use other SQL server to host the BEDB database. The only disadvantage of using the Default SQl express instance is that the database size cannot grow to certain limit , guess its 4 Gb.

check this article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/using-custom-sql-instance-backup-exec-installs

As suggested by V Jware, you to make sure there is no conflict which may cause the backup jobs or the maintainance job itself  to fail .

Colin_Weaver

I don't know if you have done this or not but as you stated a separate SQL installation managed by a DBA holds your BEDB and asked about best practices, please be aware that Best Practice for the BEDB is do not install it into a SQL instance that is shared with production databases.

One of the reasons for this is possible historical in nature and related to Backup Exec patch installation sometimes needing the SQL services for the instance to stop (which of course would also stop your production databases.) - This comment might still apply to the possibility that during troubleshooting of Backup Exec a service restart could be needed (although this also now seems to be rare)

The main important reason is that in the event of recovery from a disaster of the SQL server having production databases in the same instance as BEDB can cause complications during SQL recovery (which whist not impossible to work around it is a lot easier to avoid in the first place) Admittedly your SQL DBA might be doing things outside of Backup Exec that avoid or mitigate against this sorts of issues as well.

John_Santana
Level 6

ok, so far the DBA said that all of the other DB instance will be migrated next week to other SQL Server DB, while the current SQL Server 2005 for Backup Exec is now only used for Backup Exec 2012 and Veeam Backup software.

here's the version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.5000.00 (Intel X86)   Dec 10 2010 10:56:29   Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation  Express Edition on Windows NT 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) 

Is it end of life yet ?

VJware
Level 6

Have a look @ this - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?C2=1044

Extended support end date is 2016.