cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the steps to update BE if the operating system is updated ?

Esteban_Xpears
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello everyone,

We have a client with Backup Exec 2012 R3 in 6 different sites. The environment is Windows Server 2003/2008 R2, but this migrating different servers to Windows 2012 R2.
As we all know , if we have a Windows Server 2012 R2 with the role of AD , we have a Media Server BE 2014 on a similar server.

Given that managers of this company is not going to make the upgrade windows operating system on which is in production (Windows 2008 R2 ), my query is:

What would be the recommended way to update the Media Server BE 2010 BE 2014 R3 to practice?

My idea is :

1. Make a normal upgrade from BE 2012 to BE 2014 R3 .
  2. Make a backup of the database ( BEDB ) and catalogs . Protect them off the server .
  3. Make new install the operating system to Windows 2012 R2.
  4. Install BE 2014 with a new installation .
  5. Import the database and catalogs of point 2 ) to the new environment BE.

I 'm right ? Anyone know or has the correct procedure ?

Ideas and experiences are heard !

Thank you very much !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

Your steps should work.  Please use this document as a reference:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768  and make sure you make a copy of the Data and Catalog directory under the Backup Exec installation directory first., 
as described in step II. Move Backup Exec data to a temporary location.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

Your steps should work.  Please use this document as a reference:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768  and make sure you make a copy of the Data and Catalog directory under the Backup Exec installation directory first., 
as described in step II. Move Backup Exec data to a temporary location.

Esteban_Xpears
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Excellent Imosla! 

Thanks!