cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I select with the SQL and Sharepoint agents?

mholko
Level 2

Hi there,

I just wanted to find out this question for sure.

If I am backing up a SQL 2008 server using the BE SQL agent do I select just the Databases under the "Microsoft SQL Server Instances" or do I also select the Databses via the folders eg c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.DEV\MSSQL\DATA

With Sharepoint should it be the same? Just select the "Microsoft Sharepoint Resources" and "Microsoft SQL Server Instances" selections and not the data in the folders?

Also should AOFO be switched off for both SQL and SharePoint backups?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should do your selection under Microsoft SQL Instances and Microsoft Sharepoint resources.  Even if you select the directory where the .mdf and .ldf files resides, they would be excluded from the backup by AFE.

You should turn off AOFO when you back up databases.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified
For just application recovery you may backup only databases. But for full server disaster recovery backup of c drive and system state is required. So if you are just looking for database recovery then there is no need to select anything else. Hope this helps.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should do your selection under Microsoft SQL Instances and Microsoft Sharepoint resources.  Even if you select the directory where the .mdf and .ldf files resides, they would be excluded from the backup by AFE.

You should turn off AOFO when you back up databases.

mholko
Level 2

If I select the databases via c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.DEV\MSSQL\DATA
and also via the 
"Microsoft SQL Server Instances" option then aren't I effectively backing them up twice?

Just wondering what best practice is for this?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. As I said earlier, the .mdf and the .ldf files would not be backed up because they are automatically excluded by AFE.  So even if you select the directory, you would only be backing up the databases once.