cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent?

nik1390
Level 3

Hi,

Could some please explain what exactly is 'Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent' and what role does it perform during a backup?

The reason I ask this is my backup job fails with the following error:

"The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer."

And to clarify further, I am only running the backup job on the server itself, its not on any remote server or from the client.

Many thanks in advance

Nik

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In simple terms the remote agent process is responsible for

1) Enumerating what resources are on a system (to provide selections for backup)

2) Reading the source data and presenting it to the storage processes on the media server for backup

3) Retrieving the data from the storage process on the media server and writing it back for a restore.

There are other functions - just outlining the key/simpler ones.

Now all 3 of the above are processes are also needed on the media server itself, as such even though you are doing backups of local data, the remote agent process is still used and is still a key part of the backup and restore process. If you check the services list on the media server you will see that the remote agent is present (and should be running)

Note: the remote agent license is a separate entity that just enables backup functionality against remote systems, the license itself is not needed if you are just backing up local file system data from the media server.

nik1390
Level 3

Firstly, thanks for the explanation Colin, it clarifies the technical aspect.

I would like to ask why do I get this error message:

"The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer."

And this is only on one of our servers, all other servers that I am backing up data on are fine. Is there any solution to this. I have tried the workaround that symantec offers (the change the ndmp to something other than 10000) but it doesnt work!

Nik

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

Please check this link http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH73015

Colin_Weaver

Do you have any software firewalls running?

Is the beremote.exe process running?

Can you telnet to port 10000 (or whatever port you changed it to ) on that media server?

Do the security accounts being used have enough permissions?

VJware
Level 6

Check your selection list especially under View by Resource to see if you have any other selections apart from the local server's file data...

nik1390
Level 3

Hi VJware,

You mean to see if I have any resources being backed up that are not on the local server?

Nik