cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is in the BFK files

Roy_T
Level 2

Hello everyone,

We use backup Exec 2010 for backingup from 4 servers. Last night an differential job, using modified time ran. When I checked the status of the backup this morning, I came to the conclusion that the size of the created bkf file whas 5GB. This should be a lot more. 

Can someone explain how to check the data inside the BKF files? I'm really curious about the data that is backupped and what is not.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

When you perform GRT backup bkf file won't contain any data and all information would be there in IMG folder which would include your exchange database file and log file in it

Hope that clears your confusion now 

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

There is no way to open the BKF file and check what data is there only way to open BKF file is right click on it in Backup exec and then click on restore data to check what data it holds

Thanks

Colin_Weaver

Well you could copy the BKF file to a test server running a cleanly installed version of Backup Exec and then inventory + catalog it to see what it gives. Only do this as a test as the server concerned must have no history of running jobs or other catalogs against the same BKF filename.

Roy_T
Level 2

Thanks for your reply!

I can't find my first storage group in that bkf file. When I check de job, the storage group is selected. The backup didn't return errors last night and completed without errors.

Can you explain how the first storage group is backupped?

As you probably allready found out, I'm new to this product.

Thanks!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Please note if your exchange backup are GRT based then it will create IMG folder and will not be backup to bkf file so ensure if it is GRT backup it will have created IMG

Moreover in the job log in device and media check which device the backup is written too and what file were used like bkf and img etc once confirmed ,please go to devices tab and look for associated img file if it is GRT backup else look for bkf file and right click on it to click on restore data and it will list the data .

Thanks

Roy_T
Level 2

Thanks again for your reply!

I dont know if I should start another topic. Because we currently use the GRT method for backing up our exchange. We use FTP to upload the BKF files to an offsite location. 

The first and second storage group are about 150GB. Can you tell me what the size of the BKF file will be when I turn of GRT?

Thanks again!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

When you perform GRT backup bkf file won't contain any data and all information would be there in IMG folder which would include your exchange database file and log file in it

Hope that clears your confusion now 

Thanks

waelhilal
Not applicable

The BKF file type is primarily associated with 'WindowsXP' by Microsoft Corporation. Note: This is default; can be renamed to any extension. For XP Home this utility is not installed by default. You have to install it from the added value directory of your XP Home distribution disc. Once installed it shows up in the Start | Programs | Accessories menu. If you make multiple backups a catalog of those backups is kept on the hard disk in the folder \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51. If you have a backup file you are trying to recover files from and that file is not listed in the catalog then the Windows Backup program will not restore from that file unless you delete the catalog. Then, because it has no other data to work from, Windows Backup will recover files from the backup.

Trouble opening BKF files?

If you are having problems opening BKF files, you should:

A) Identify a program that can open the file and
B) Chack your PC for invalid registry entries and other speed issues.

Colin_Weaver

Sorry but BKF is not exclusive to Microsoft, Backup Exec creates them as well - reason being that some of the original code used to write NT Backup came from Veritas (under license) in the first place, as such the .BKF file format and the MTF tape format are shared technologies between the Backup Exec range of software and some of Microsoft's backup tools.

Note: This is just a comment, I see that this thread has been answered in terms of OP question

Roy_T
Level 2

Thanks for all the reply's everyone! My question is answered.

Have a good day!