cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is included in SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 SMALL BUSINESS EDITION?

matt_allford
Level 4

Hi all,

We have a lot of small business clients who run Windows SBS. We find that the Symantec backups packs are great for these environments. We usually supply SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2010 SMALL BUSINESS SERVER WIN ML DVD 1 PACK SYSTEM BUILDER ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS (Symantec code 20096407) which includes:

• Backup Exec 2010
  • Backup Exec System Recovery 2010

But this product has been discontinued. Our suppliers have the following new product - SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 SMALL BUSINESS EDITION WIN ML 1 PACK SYSTEM BUILDER ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS (Symantec code 21217998) but it is currently not available from our suppliers for the next 3-4 weeks.

We have a new client that we want to install this for in trial mode to get their backups working and then simply punch in the codes when the software arrives in a few weeks. The only thing is that I can't find any solid information on the web to indicate what products are included in the new pack. My suspicions are:

Is anyone able to confirm that these are the products included in the new packs? If so, I can go ahead with a trial download from the links above and set them up in trial mode and simply enter the codes when our suppliers have stock.

If I am incorrect, if someone could let me know what products are included that would be great.

Cheers!

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should check with Symantec Licencing.  They are the final authority on licencing matters.

SRS_Topscore
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Symantec System Recovery is removed from the SBS package. I found out the hard way, I have purchased exactly the one you mentioned: 21217998.

Ralf_Bernau
Level 3
Partner

THE SBS Version is removed and replaced by the Small Business Edition.

This License is for one BE server to install. All Options and Agents are included as in the Triel Version.

The limitation is that you are only able to two additional agents which needs to be licensed. even it is a SQL or AD  you need to purchase a Windows Agent.

BE_EPM
Level 3
Employee

Hi Matt,

The Backup Exec 2012 Licensing Guide can be found at this URL:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178479

BE_EPM
Level 3
Employee

Please note the license to SBE does Not include all options and agents like Trialware.

SBE protects one backup server including protection for: Exchange, Active Directory, SQL, SharePoint and Hyper-V. It can be expanded to support up to 3 servers by purchasing an additional SBE agent for Windows, Linux, or Mac per physical server.  More detail is available in the licensing guide :)

Luc64000
Not applicable

Hi,

Link is broken.

New licensing for BE 2012 is like the fog not the cloud

I need the same answer as Matt.

And I have to know wich agent I can add to BE 2012 SBE.

Somewhere I can add Application agent somewhere else I can't ...!!!

http://www.symantec.com/products/agents_options.jsp?pcid=pcat_business_cont&pvid=296_1

http://www.symantec.com/fr/fr/products/agents_options.jsp?pcid=pcat_business_cont&pvid=296_1

Regards

BE_EPM
Level 3
Employee

I'm sorry for your inconvenience in the link not working. The link is working for me, although I am inside of the Symantec network at the moment. Is the knowledge base article inaccessible, or the PDF from within the article? I would like you to try once again if you don't mind.  Here is an excerpt from the published guide as of today:

Purchase one Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition to protect one server which also manages the backup environment and all tape/disk storage devices used for backup.

The Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition includes protection for: Exchange, Active Directory, SQL, SharePoint, Hyper-V

Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition can be easily expanded to support up to three servers (two remote servers) by purchasing an additional Small Business Edition Agent for Windows, Agent for Linux, or Agent for Mac per physical server, depending on your OS requirements.

A maximum of three physical servers or virtual machines can be licensed for protection with Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition.

Please note: the Small Business Edition Agent for Windows, Agent for Linux, or Agent for Mac is not required for virtual machines. No other Backup Exec Agents and Options are supported with the Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition.

The licensing guide should be consulted as it contains the full information, but I hope this excerpt is helpful. Please excuse any typos as I was not able to copy and paste directly.

Roockie
Not applicable

Hello,

I am looking for technical information before you purchase Backup Exec.

My client has 2 servers.

The first SBS 2011 server (Exchange, File Server, SQL and Active Directory Application)

The second server a SBS 2011 Premium Add-on (Sharepoint, SQL, fileserver).

The second server will serve the backup on LTO tape. (a backup server wholesale).

My question is: if I install the Backup software Excec Small Business on the second server, the second server can he make a total backup located on the first server (Exchange, FileServer, SQL)?

Is the "Agent for Windows Small Business Server Edition" installed on the first server used to make a full backup (Exchange Granular, etc ...)

What I need to do a backup on 2 servers. (Granular Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint).

Thank you in advance for your help,

Sincerely,