Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Granular Recovery Of Application Means

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

this may be a stupid quistion for you but i really does not know what is actually meaning for granular recovery for application.i understand i can reciver a single mail or folder or files.but how it works for application

1.what are the things i need to backup for any application.

2 do i need to install window first then and then i need to run the SQL Server or EXCHANGE Set up again or my the backup which i take for application does not require me to install the application again

3 i have one server in which my Java Based ERP is running how can i protect that Application through Backup exec

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To do GRT restore of applications like SQL Server or Exchange, you need to have 1 agent for Application and Database for each application in each server.

With GRT, you can restore a single Exchange mailbox without restoring the entire Information store.  If you are backing up a VM, then you can restore a single mailbox, single file/folder, a AD object or a SQL database without restoring the entire VM.

You can restore the single object back to its original location or re-direct it to another server.  This other server must have the application installed in it.  For example, ff you are restoring an Exchange mailbox, then you need to have Exchange on this server and you need to install RAWS in this server.

It depends on what your ERP application is based on.  If it is just files, then you just need a RAWS licence.  If it is based on SQL or Oracle database, then you need an agent for application and database licence.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To do GRT restore of applications like SQL Server or Exchange, you need to have 1 agent for Application and Database for each application in each server.

With GRT, you can restore a single Exchange mailbox without restoring the entire Information store.  If you are backing up a VM, then you can restore a single mailbox, single file/folder, a AD object or a SQL database without restoring the entire VM.

You can restore the single object back to its original location or re-direct it to another server.  This other server must have the application installed in it.  For example, ff you are restoring an Exchange mailbox, then you need to have Exchange on this server and you need to install RAWS in this server.

It depends on what your ERP application is based on.  If it is just files, then you just need a RAWS licence.  If it is based on SQL or Oracle database, then you need an agent for application and database licence.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Granular Recover Technology (GRT) provides the ability to recover indivdiual objects within supported database technologies from a single backup whilst still providing the abilitty to recover the complete database if Disaster Recovery (DR)  is needed

Supported applications are: Exchange, AD, SQL and Sharepoint (Making you Java ERP not directly supported and you should talk to the vendor of the ERP for advice on backing up.)

In the case of what you need to backup for supported applications, it is the complete database (and the operating system if you need to DR that)

When it comes to a restroe you can choose a complete DR restore of the complete database (which will still need the Operating System and the program files for the database technology available) or you can choose to GRT components within the database (e-mails, AD users, Sharepoint documents, SQL databases etc)  which needs an active database to restore into.

GRT is bascially for when I user accidentally deletes an object and needs it back, DR is for when the complete database is corrupt or lost and needs recovery but both are possibel form one backup with the GRT option enabled.

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

i have this applicaton and Database Agent if some thing goes wrong with my OS and i reinstall my os again then i need to install that Particular application and configure it.....is this write..after doing installation then i can restore the single mailbox or database not before this and my ERP is BANDA  which i running on a seperate server

what is the benefit it gives if i purchase a application and database agent for this server as i need to reinstall the application and configure it again

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If your server crashes, then it is a DR situation, i.e. you got to recover the entire server, not just a single mailbox or database.   In this case, GRT does not apply.  However, you would still need to have a licence for applications and database to backup and restore the application data in their entirety.

When you restore the entire C: drive and re-boot the server.  You will get back the server at the time when the backup is taken.  You don't have to install the application and re-configure the application.  That is the whole idea of backing up the server.