cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the REAL procedure to obtain software key for BE 11d?

David_Tracy
Level 4
A couple of months ago we purchased the BE 11d x64. At the time the only way to obtain the software was a download from Symantec, so we did. A month or so later we received the CD's but I did not install them because I had patched the downloaded version and I didn't want to lose my updates and profile. Anyway, over this last weekend the downloaded version timed out. When I went to upgrade the serial number to a purchased version I was unable because I needed a software key. I followed the procedure to obtain the software key, again, and again. Finally I decided to phone in for help. I called the tech service number and was on hold for 35 minutes. Having to go to the bathroom I hung up, and upon return I decided to try again. After a 15 minute wait a young lady answered and we went through the Q&A session. When we were finished she advised me that I needed to be on a different line and placed me on hold. One hour and 15 minutes later I hung up, it was lunch time. After lunch it's back to the tech service people, 20 minutes on hold this time and finally a young man answers. I go through the whole story again and he also says I need to be on a different line, but he promised he would use a priority line this time. Yeah, priority my foot! I'm still on hold at this moment! The serial number is registered but I haven't been able to get a software key using the website. I also haven't been able to get a key via telephone, always seem to be on the wrong line. At the moment we have no backup system!

What is the REAL procedure to obtain a software key for this software? I feel that someone out there has managed to get one, would you please share this procedure with me?

Thanks and best regards to all.

Still on hold,
David Tracy
8 REPLIES 8

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
You need to contact suctomer care, it is a non techinical issue, good luck though, a lot of people gave up on that also.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Was that a freudian slip, customer care, probably quite apt though.

David_Tracy
Level 4
You were right the first time! I'm sure that if I didn't need a little attitudinal adjustment, I would have been helped before now. But, it really is hard to kiss up to someone when the entire backup system for the network is down! Just because of a paranoid developer--jeese, I paid for the software and can prove it, just let me use it now, OK?

Sorry for the vent,

Best regards,
David.

Steve_Meek
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Just went through this.

Go to licensing.symantec.com. Create an account, go to Manage Licenses and add it using the info from your printed out licenses info. Then you have to add each inidivudal license and click register license. It will generate a key.

Fortunately, the interface is counterintuitive and desigened without ease of use in mind. Additionally, I could not select multiple licenses to register, I have to do a single license at a time to get a single key. Thanks goodness I took this workload off their licensing desk. It is unfair that their licensing team should be so burdened.

Steve

David_Tracy
Level 4
Yes Steve, I have to agree. Those licensing employees can get down to some serious work now that they don't have to deal with helping the customers. I'm glad that Symantec is now able to realize all that extra income that was being wasted on customer service and share it with their stockholders.

Thanks for the tip on the licensing thing. I was able to create an account and register my serial numbers without any problem, but the button to generate a license key would not enable and I therefore couldn't get that little jewel. It's been since last Friday since I made a backup. If something turns to stink here I'm in deep stuff. If this wasn't a brand new 64 bit server, I'd rip that software out of there and toss it off the roof out in the street and watch it get run over by a semi. But that's just me.

Best regards,
David.

Steve_Meek
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I think on some licenses, I searched back through finding ADVANCED SEARCH and doing again. I have registered licenses for probably 8 diff customers now and don't recall any that did not let me click the button. Could you be on new IE or have browser settings? I am still using older IE.

You might try from another system.

Good luck.

Steve

David_Tracy
Level 4
Steve, you said the magic word--ADVANCED. When right through the process, got my key, thank you Jesus.

I'm off to the backup server for a test run!

David.

Steve_Meek
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Awesome. Glad it worked for you.

HISTORY IN THE MAKING
Do you remember where you were the first time your were able to get a Symantec key?