cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between selecting a share for backup vs backing up the folder on the drive?

kram79
Not applicable

I'm using Backup Exec 2010 on Windows 2003 Standard SP2 and have a question regarding the selections.  When reviewing the possible selections for a server with RAWS installed, I can see the available drives as well as the Shares.  Is there any benefit to selecting the share over the corresponding folder under the expanded drive?  So far I've been unable to find anything definitive in the documentation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you backup a share or the underlying directory, the data that is backed up is the same. It is better to ignore the share and backup either the entire drive or the entire higher level directory.  If you are not careful and select both the share and the underlying directory, you will back up the same data twice.   Suppose you have this structure

D:\a\b

and b is shared as B.  If you select B (the share) and select either D:\ or D:\a, then you would be backing up b twice.

To avoid this double backup, people often suppress the display of shares by going to Tools ----> Options and uncheck the Enable selection of User Shares in the Network and Security section.

Once this option is unchecked, you can still see the shares, but will be unable to select them for backup.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

There is no difference I can say you can backup share by selecting from the drive or you can backup shares

It is shown you can say for 2 reasons for some users if they don't want to protect the server and just want to backup shares then it will list only the shares to backup

Also by showing the shares it is easier to backup in front instead of searching were the shares are on the drive but does not make a difference if you backup fro one of the way

It is as like remote server you see then under favorite resources you see them under active directory domain and also you can add then as user defined selections in bacjpu selection there are different ways it is what you choose

Hope that helps

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you backup a share or the underlying directory, the data that is backed up is the same. It is better to ignore the share and backup either the entire drive or the entire higher level directory.  If you are not careful and select both the share and the underlying directory, you will back up the same data twice.   Suppose you have this structure

D:\a\b

and b is shared as B.  If you select B (the share) and select either D:\ or D:\a, then you would be backing up b twice.

To avoid this double backup, people often suppress the display of shares by going to Tools ----> Options and uncheck the Enable selection of User Shares in the Network and Security section.

Once this option is unchecked, you can still see the shares, but will be unable to select them for backup.