Gossett
Level 6

Topic:

I got it when cleaning out old backup sets

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_Palmersto
Level 4

I see that you consider this solved for your case, but you may want to continue to investigate:

1) This issue was much more frequent in builds before SP1a + first 2 hotfixes (189571 and 180964) + 1 newer one (194470), please make sure you run a LiveUpdate and have all 4 of those pieces installed.

2) The issue can also come up if any of the media from the backup sets that you are deleting have been reused.  There is a known "window of opportunity" where BE2012 will re-use existing BKF files on disk storage instead of deleting them completely when DLM should.  If you are manually pruning ("deleting") backup sets, you can run into situations where BE attempts to delete a backup set that no longer exists - that can be the source of this error.

Deleting those sets where BKF files have already been reused should not make the situation any worse (in fact, things should be better because now that old backup set does not point to the previously used BKF)..

We have not seen any lasting problems created after receiving this error (except sometimes needing to restart the BE Management Service).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Ideally, you should not be manually deleting older backup sets. Backup Exec can be configured to do this automatically. I have seen this error typically, when you are attemting to manually delete either a very large number of backup sets or mostly the last backup set for a perticlar server. See if this link fixes the issue -

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187957

Also, I would seriously request to you read https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

Gossett
Level 6

Thanks that would seem to have done the trick! The artilcle on DLM is greatly appriciated.

David_Palmersto
Level 4

I see that you consider this solved for your case, but you may want to continue to investigate:

1) This issue was much more frequent in builds before SP1a + first 2 hotfixes (189571 and 180964) + 1 newer one (194470), please make sure you run a LiveUpdate and have all 4 of those pieces installed.

2) The issue can also come up if any of the media from the backup sets that you are deleting have been reused.  There is a known "window of opportunity" where BE2012 will re-use existing BKF files on disk storage instead of deleting them completely when DLM should.  If you are manually pruning ("deleting") backup sets, you can run into situations where BE attempts to delete a backup set that no longer exists - that can be the source of this error.

Deleting those sets where BKF files have already been reused should not make the situation any worse (in fact, things should be better because now that old backup set does not point to the previously used BKF)..

We have not seen any lasting problems created after receiving this error (except sometimes needing to restart the BE Management Service).

Gossett
Level 6

Thanks for all of your guys' help this forum is amazing.