cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What licensing do I need for SBS 2011 in Hyper-V?

deejerydoo
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

I am looking to set up a small Hyper-V set up for a client. The scenario will be as follows:

Physical Hosts:

2 x Hyper-V servers with Win2K8R2 Enterprise Edition.

Storage:

Unfortunately the client is not prepared to stump up for a SAN, so there will be internal storage in ech server. I have explained the limitations of this compared to a proper SAN solution.

1 x LTO-5 external tape drive connected to an HBA in one of the physical servers.

Virtual Guests:

1 x SBS 2011 Guest.

5 x Win2K8R2 Application servers (domain members).

In addition to the Backup Exec Small Business Edition license, what additional agents would I need?

Is there a tech note on installing SBS BENT in a Hyper-V environment?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

deejerydoo
Level 5
Partner

Was there was no proper undertanding of the licensing required in the channel! With the three vendors/Symantec partners that I asked, giving slightly different licensing requirements up front and all of them having to refer back to Symantec. In the end I called Symantec here in Australia for clarification. The licensing guy I spoke to was very helpful indeed and got an answer for me quickly, but even he had to refer to the product manager.

Eventually, I managed to confirm the licensing I needed was as follows:

1 x Backup Exec 2010 R3 for Windows Small Business Servers (apparently there is no distinction for whichever flavour of SBS 2011 you are intending to run)

2 x Hyper-V agents.

This covers me for all agents required to back up all SBS 2011 components, the Hyper-V hosts and unlimited RAWS agents for the Windows guests running on the Hyper-V hosts. As well as the 75 user laptop and desktop license! Backup to disk, archiving or deduplication are extra license purchases.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As long as the SBS Guest is runnign on the Hyper-V host that has the tape drive connected then you can install the Backup Exec SBS edition directly on that host. This does license you to Backup the SBS Exchange and SQL data and a limited number of remote servers that form part of the SBS environment, however 5 additional servers might be slightly too many.

As such I suggest you contact our pre-sales teams or an approved Symantec Reseller/partner to get confirmattion of that as you might need some addtitional remote agent licenses to be legal.

deejerydoo
Level 5
Partner

Was there was no proper undertanding of the licensing required in the channel! With the three vendors/Symantec partners that I asked, giving slightly different licensing requirements up front and all of them having to refer back to Symantec. In the end I called Symantec here in Australia for clarification. The licensing guy I spoke to was very helpful indeed and got an answer for me quickly, but even he had to refer to the product manager.

Eventually, I managed to confirm the licensing I needed was as follows:

1 x Backup Exec 2010 R3 for Windows Small Business Servers (apparently there is no distinction for whichever flavour of SBS 2011 you are intending to run)

2 x Hyper-V agents.

This covers me for all agents required to back up all SBS 2011 components, the Hyper-V hosts and unlimited RAWS agents for the Windows guests running on the Hyper-V hosts. As well as the 75 user laptop and desktop license! Backup to disk, archiving or deduplication are extra license purchases.