cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What option to use for compression with disk backup

BrianPaul
Level 3

We are using Backup Exec 2010.  For compression, it is set to Hardware [if available, otherwise none].  We do not use tape at all... only disk to disk backup.  I'm wondering if I should set the compression to software?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are backing up to disk, setting compression to hardware will have no effect.  If you want any compression, you have to set it to software.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

teiva-boy
Level 6

You could if you think you need it, otherwise you may not gain much on software compression.  You would gain more with deduplication.  Though that costs $$ and may or may not work with your current hardware.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are backing up to disk, setting compression to hardware will have no effect.  If you want any compression, you have to set it to software.

BrianPaul
Level 3

About what ratio of compression can I get if I enable software compression?

phartman
Level 4

I would also like to add that you may see a reduction in performance by enabling software compression.  Although I do not have numbers, it has been a word of caution in the backup world for a number of years.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

compression ratios are entirely determined by your source data.  the only way to know for YOUR data is to test it.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The compression ratio achieved with software compression is roughly the same as that of hardware compression.  As previously advised, the amount of compression that you get is dependent on the type of data that is being compressed.  See my article below on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation