cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to recover from overwritten back job

pmmoniz
Level 2

Using Backupexec 11d

Due to my own error I need recover a full backup job that may have been overwritten.

I see the last good job log and shows it was all written to a single DLT tape, but the overwrite period has expired.  Re-inventory and catalog of tape doesn't show the backup.  Think my only option is to send out the tape and attempt a recovery.

My question is instead attempting to recover the whole tape, what specific files should I be looking for? (catalog .xml files, and ....?)

Lastly, if I'm lucky enough to get that data... whats the best way get Backup Exec to restore it?

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

AFAIK, there isn't much you can do using BackupExec if another job has overwritten the header.

At one point several versions ago there was a TechNote on how to recover data in this situation, but I could never make it work, and the TechNote was withdrawn rather quickly

I will set the support flag for this thread to highlight  it for the Symantec Techs

pmmoniz
Level 2

thanks.. i believe i read that in one of the other posts.

My hope is that i pulled the tape before this specific job was overwritten.

I want to send it out to a 3rd party recovery vendor and see what they can grab.  I just didnt want to have to try recovering the whole 160gb tape.  Wasnt sure exactly how Backup exec 11d saves the data as.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Wasnt sure exactly how Backup exec 11d saves the data as.

As far as I know, Backup Exec has always used MTF (Microsoft Tape Format) to actually write to tape.  if the tape was hardware compressed, any compatible drive should be able to read it, if it was software compressed, only backup Exec will be able to read it due to the proprietary compression algorithms used