cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of media (media type) have my cartridges

sea_cucumber
Level 2

Hey guys,

i am installing first time BE with a Tape Library. My configuration a TS3500 with 3592-E07 Drives with the matching cartrides "3592 Advanced Cartridge 4 TB Native Generation 3 IBM High Performance".

I bought  10 new cartrides with a new Barcode-Prefix .

But what type of media are the "3592 Advanced Cartridge 4 TB Native Generation 3 IBM High Performance" in the Barcode Rules?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Bar code rules are ONLY needed when you have 2 different standard of tape drives inside your library and use two different types of tape carttidge

The rules then give Backup Exec a way to use the correct tapes in the correct drives and not hit a compatibility problem.

If you obly have 1 type of tape drive with all the tapes in use compatible for both read and write operations with that type of drive then Bar Code Rules are not needed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

More of a question to be asking in the IBM forums. If they're the same tapes as the drive (ie. LTO6 drive, LTO6 tapes), then you're good to go.

Otherwise post a screenshot here...

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

BE only has LTO bar code rules setup by default.  Those are not LTO tape drives.  You have to use the HIC[x] section and media types, if you want to use bar code rules.  If you only have one type/generation of tape drive, then you probably don't even need to think baout using bar code rules.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Bar code rules are ONLY needed when you have 2 different standard of tape drives inside your library and use two different types of tape carttidge

The rules then give Backup Exec a way to use the correct tapes in the correct drives and not hit a compatibility problem.

If you obly have 1 type of tape drive with all the tapes in use compatible for both read and write operations with that type of drive then Bar Code Rules are not needed.