cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would be in a the system state for a differential backup that makes it 10GB?

Gai-jin
Level 3
I'm just switching from doing a full backup every night to a full backup every two weeks with differentials in between.  On the first differential, I found one server listed in the logs with a system state backup that is 10GB in size.  This is quite a bit larger than the system state backup of our other servers.  What would make this so large?

Also, it's worth noting that the full backup was taken saturday night, and the differential sunday night.  Since we're not open on weekends, I expected the first differential to be very small. 
4 REPLIES 4

Nimish_Patel
Level 5
Employee Accredited
System state backup is immune to backup methods like full ,incremental and differential and the system state backup will always be a full backup, regardless the option you have selected under backup method under the general tab.

If you want to verify this, open restore window and open a differential backup set of any of your server and see the backup set of system state, it will always say that its a full backup.

Rick_DeBay
Level 5
This is the set information from the job log.  It shows that System State backup is incremental.

Family Name: "Media created 6/25/2010 9:45:37 AM"
Backup of "System?State"
Backup set #5 on storage media #9
Backup set description: "Continuous Incremental Backup Template"
Backup Method: Incremental - Using modified time

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Rick

Think of the system state as being one file instead of lots of files - then you will releaize that even if Incremental is set in a job - that it will always backup the whole thing if it changes at all. - so as previously mentioned it will always be a Full of the system state no matter what the job settings (or the job log which gets it's information from the settings) might say

Moe_Howard
Level 4

The system state is as large as the assigned tasks of the server.  The more you want it to do the larger an "engine" it will need to carry out those tasks.

Check out the information at this URL:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785306%28WS.10%29.aspx

It should provide some insight as to what the system state does and why it can be so large or small.