cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When are the backup files deleted in backup exec 2012(keep for...)

kazuma666
Not applicable

Hello,

So I'm wondering, when I create a backup and I say keep for 2 weeks for example, when are the data deleted exactly.

I'm especially wondering, if the data will be deleted if the job fails. Let's say I have a 3 weeks holiday and the backup keeps data for 2 weeks. Say all the jobs fail when I'm on holiday. When I come back will all the backup be deleted?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Your best bet is to check out the TN below which explains how DLM will delete backup sets!

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99585

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As a basic answer (and assuming default settings)

- Tapes will only lose data if a backup job is run to them which overwrites them. If the tapes are not in the drives the data cannot be lost

- Disk based backups (fixed disk and USB) will keep the last complete backup chain of your data - which means "Last Full + Last Differential" or last "Full + set of Incrementals" will not be deleted until new sucessful backups run

- Any disk based backups (fixed disk and USB)  that are not the last backup chains of your data will be deleted within 4 hours of expiry of chain (or 1 hour if on BE 15)

Note for the above 2 points the USB disks of course have to be online

- RDX (cartridge/removable) disks only delete data when jobs run and cartridge is online, but then honour the last recovery chain etc rules so will not delete all backup sets.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You might want to read my article below http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/when-backup-sets-are-deleted-under-dlm

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The last recovery point would not be deleted provided the registry setting to delete any expired backup set is not set

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In BE 2014 this registry key is an admin console setting that by default is not enabled, in 2012 it is as you tated a reg key but is agains not enabled by default. In both case enablign allows the deletion, this customer wants to not allow the deletion so does not want to change the defaults.

It is also one of the reasons why I stated assuming default settings in my earlier answer.