cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When reinstalling a client computer, what to do with backup?

RicohNorway
Level 5

Hi guys

I have been assigned a project where i am suppose to install W7 on all Windows xp computers. I am basically going to do a fresh install which with other word means that everything on the computer is wiped out. I have a backup going on all the client computers, so users have been informed that everything they need to save should be dumped into My Document folder which backup Exec takes backup off. Even though backup exec do have a copy of users My Document folder on the Media server (provided that a sync have been succesfully completed), i still use an external USB hard drive to take a backup on the disk. I do notive that everytime i try to compare the My Document folder from the USB disk to the My Document folder on the media server, i get a mismatch in the amount of MB and files and folders. So for example, for user Jon, My Document folder is around 1000MB with 100 folders and 2000 files, while on the media server it could be 1400MB 102 folders and 2200 files. I know it could be that the user have been deleting something from the computer locally, which it is not deleted from the server, since i have a retention policy of 30 days. Sometimes it could be the other way around, that there are more MB, files and folder on computer locally then the media server.

My question is simple, what process should i use when reinstalling a client computer, to make sure i dont lose any data when copying it over to the freshly installed computer. What happens if i dump the content of the USB disk on to the My Document folder on the newly installed computer, and then install the backup exec and let it run? Please help me with this. Thanks.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You need to check to see if DLO isn't perhaps leaving off files from the backup based on an exclusion list.

Otherwise, if you don't trust the backup, you will have to do the old copy/paste.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RicohNorway
Level 5

I will appritiate if someone could help me with this. Thanks.

CraigV

Hi,

Ideally you've got a Remote Agent for Windows Servers installed on each Windows XP workstation, and are then backing up the My Documents folder.

Should you have this, you'd upgrade/reinstall the workstation with Windows 7, reinstall the RAWS agent, and then do a redirected restore.

This would be the process to use. Not sure on your version of BE, but BE 2010 and BE 2012 both support Windows 7 for RAWS agents.

Thanks!

RicohNorway
Level 5

Hi

I am running Backup Exec 2010 R3. Ï am using Desktop and Laptop agent to backup the My Document folder. And it is working fiine. What is RAWS agent? Is that any different from Desktop and Latop agent?

CraigV

OK, so now a bit more information...if you're using DLO then there is no need to install a RAWS agent on each workstation.

You should simply reinstall the DLO agent and then restore the data.

RicohNorway
Level 5

Yes i know, but if you read my thread, i am aware of this procedure. What i am trying to say is that if i compare the data from local computer to data transfered to the Network Data folder, there is a mismatch. And in some cases, the mismatch is very big. So i dont know if i could trust the backup on the network Data folder. I have a retention policy of 30 days or something, so if a user has deleted something, it disappears right away from the local computer, but from Network data folder, it is deleted after 30 days, so it does explain the mismatch. But sometimes the mismatch is other way around, that there is more MB in local folder then network data folder. How can i make sure that the most currect data is restored.

CraigV

You need to check to see if DLO isn't perhaps leaving off files from the backup based on an exclusion list.

Otherwise, if you don't trust the backup, you will have to do the old copy/paste.

Thanks!

RicohNorway
Level 5

I forgot about the Exclusion list, that might explain why there are more MB in local folder compare to the Network folder. But 1 question. Let us suppose i delete 2 files from local computer, with a retention policy of 30 days. And after say 10 days, i do a complete reinstall of computer, and use the DLO to restore all the files. I assume that this also will restore the deleted files, so how can i make sure this does not occur? Because a user might have deleted several files which he does not have a list of, to exclude it when restoring.

CraigV

To be honest, I am not too sure on that 1. See what sort of options you have with restoring the data.

RicohNorway
Level 5

I think i found my answer reading the administrator guide. When restoring, the files which were originally deleted should have a red cross (X) in front of them, so one can simply deselect them one by one. Thats the only way i find. Anyways thanks for your help.