cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to create a custom SDR DvD Backup Exec 2012

Belcuve
Level 3

Hi,

I've read on some threads that is not necessary to create a custom SDR if your hardware is nothing special. I don't know what that means.

I have a Dell with a Perc S110 raid controller( RAID 1) and a Perc H310 controller for my IBM LTO4-120HH Tape drive. I, for the life of me cannot find drivers for the tape drive. I have found the 2003 drivers but not the 2008. Will Basic SDR need the tape drive drivers? Or any of the PERC drivers?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Basically what that means is download the SDR and test it with no edits, if it finds you network card and storage devices (disk and tape if a media server) without modification then you almost certainly do not need to customize it (note to test you don't actually have to go as far as a full SDR restore, although at some point for your own process documnetation and peace of mind you shoudl do a full SDR recovery fif you can.)

BTW the reason we give both a 32 bit and 64bit SDR disk is not a choice based on what you are trying to restore, it is actually a choice based on whether or not you can find drivers for the WinPE environment for you hardware in 32bit or 64 bit (we are aware that because WinPE is nearer to Vista/Windows 7 that in some cases you cannot get both bit levels of drivers, even though you can once a complete server operating system is installed) Obviously if your hardware is only 32 bit you cannot boot the 64 bit DVD, but there are cuistiomers out there that were running 32bit OS on 64bit hardware and in that environment use the 64bit SDR DVD as long as the hardware is supported in WinPE.

Oh and you only need tape driver support to recover the media server itself, if you are using SDR against remote servers where the media server still exists then you do not need tape driver support.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Basically what that means is download the SDR and test it with no edits, if it finds you network card and storage devices (disk and tape if a media server) without modification then you almost certainly do not need to customize it (note to test you don't actually have to go as far as a full SDR restore, although at some point for your own process documnetation and peace of mind you shoudl do a full SDR recovery fif you can.)

BTW the reason we give both a 32 bit and 64bit SDR disk is not a choice based on what you are trying to restore, it is actually a choice based on whether or not you can find drivers for the WinPE environment for you hardware in 32bit or 64 bit (we are aware that because WinPE is nearer to Vista/Windows 7 that in some cases you cannot get both bit levels of drivers, even though you can once a complete server operating system is installed) Obviously if your hardware is only 32 bit you cannot boot the 64 bit DVD, but there are cuistiomers out there that were running 32bit OS on 64bit hardware and in that environment use the 64bit SDR DVD as long as the hardware is supported in WinPE.

Oh and you only need tape driver support to recover the media server itself, if you are using SDR against remote servers where the media server still exists then you do not need tape driver support.