cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I get my BE2010 license file from?

sjray
Level 3

Hope someone can help or give me some guidance.

A server with BE 2010 installed stopped working correctly (BE not the server in this case) and I need to reinstall BE2010 though I don't have my BE2010 license file (.SLF). I've looked on the server and unfortunately someone installed a trial version of BE 2014  to fix the problem and for the moment I need to go back to BE2010 once I have the licence file.

So where can I get my licence file from? I have a PDF with the serial number and no one at this company knows where a copy of the licence key is stored.

Thanks,

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

FYI - BESURNUM.XML was not held in the BE Program Files  files directory - it sits within a structure that involves  hidden and system folders (so for Windows 2008 I think this is somewhere under C:\ProgramData) hence you need to look in the correct place to find it

As BE 2010 is EOL and is already only partially supported (support based on existing knowledgbase ONLY, with no enginereing level assistance or further updates and patches)  and goes into end of support completely in less than 1 year you should perhaps be planning to get onto a fully supported version.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Spiros_K_
Level 4
Certified

Hi Steven,

please try the following sites to recover your license.

https://fileconnect.symantec.com/ - Provide Serial Number

https://my.veritas.com - Create an account and register your product using your Serial Number

Please take a look at 

C:\ProgramData\Symantec Shared\Licenses\Backup Exec

maybe your old license is still there.

Regards
Spiros

sjray
Level 3

Thanks for such a quick reply.

My serial number worked on fileconnect and gave me a copy of the software to download but no licence key.

I logged into myVeritas and the licencing section did not recognise my Symantec serial number. (The PDF that has the serial numbers is from Symantec).

I had already searched the server without success as there was only a BE 14.1 folder and no slf files for BE2010.

Anywhere else I can try at all please?

Thanks,

-Steve

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Best is to contact Veritas by phone, they probably can find your licenes by verifying details like company name, address ets.

For your local number: https://www.veritas.com/about/contact

Colin_Weaver

BE 2010 does not use SLF files , it can use a backed up copy of the BESURNUM.xml file to import from if you have one, but if you don't have that you enter the serial numbers/keys directly.

sjray
Level 3

Thank you Colin. I couldn't find that XML on the server but as I have a PDF with the serial number I can use that.

It's dawned on me that my BE2014 backups completed under the trial version won't work with BE2010 so I will need to do a data restore with a trial version of BE2014 on another server before downgrading my original server to BE2010. It was a restore request that highlighted this problem with the licence key.

Colin_Weaver

FYI - BESURNUM.XML was not held in the BE Program Files  files directory - it sits within a structure that involves  hidden and system folders (so for Windows 2008 I think this is somewhere under C:\ProgramData) hence you need to look in the correct place to find it

As BE 2010 is EOL and is already only partially supported (support based on existing knowledgbase ONLY, with no enginereing level assistance or further updates and patches)  and goes into end of support completely in less than 1 year you should perhaps be planning to get onto a fully supported version.

sjray
Level 3

Colin, sorry to say after installing BE2010 the required license key is not the serial number I have on my licence cert. So back square one on this.

I appreciate what you say about running a current version of BE.

sjray
Level 3

Back again, I have found the file on the server and recovered the licence key. Thanks for the information Colin.