cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I start with Deduplication?

Matthew_Wharton
Level 3

Hi,

I have used BE for many years, our support renewals are up in the next Month and I want to check out Deduplication and I am interested in purchasing the 'Deduplication Option'.

Question is, to do Deduplication, what do I actually need???

At present I have one media server backing up 9 servers using a mixture of scheduled backups using BE 2010 and also CPS using CPS 2010.

The data (production and backup) is on a SAN.

The main areas that I would like to look at deduplicating is the data on the file server and email server (Exchange 2010)

We have approx 2TB of data on the file server and approx 500GB on the Exchange 2010 server.

Apart from buying the license for 'Deduplication Option', what else do I need to get?

Regards,

Matthew Wharton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Matthew_Wharton
Level 3

I got in touch with Symantec (Reading - UK) and they helped me out with my queries.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

For Dedup folder you need a a dedicated volume, the folder can grow upto 16TB.

Dedup can be installed only on 64bit server, with ample amount of memory.

Dedup works great for flat file backups but for DB backups the dedup ratio will be low.

While configuring a dedup job segregate the Flat file backups from Exchange store backups.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Matthew,

Read the TN and dedupe evaluation document below to get a better idea of what it is all about. Your server also needs at least 1GB RAM per 1TB of data you want to dedupe.

There are different ways to dedupe the data...client-side, server-side etc. So in this regard, read the fact sheet below which gives you additional information:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/fact_sheets/b-datasheet_be_2010_deduplication_option.pd...

The TN below is the best practices around the dedupe option:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21767

Finally, there are numerous forum posts around this...do a search, as it's going to give you an idea of some of the issues experienced, and how they were dealt with, and also a bit of information on how to streamline dedupe backups.

Cheers!

teiva-boy
Level 6

Slight correction.  1.5GB of RAM per deduplicated 1TB of data (what gets stored on the backend, not what you are backing up).  This change was made in R2.

Backup 10TB of data, and it gets deduped to 3TB, you would need 4.5GB of RAM + whatever the OS and applications need on that server.

Matthew_Wharton
Level 3

Thanks v.much for your replies, I will check out the links and see whats best for me to do...

Many thanks again

Matthew_Wharton
Level 3

I got in touch with Symantec (Reading - UK) and they helped me out with my queries.