cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Backup Exec licenses do I need?

ahladmin
Level 2

We currently have a Standalone windows 2012 R2 server running backupexec 2014 connected to a lto 6 multiloader and have lots of spare capacity tape wise.

We have a requirement to back up our Virtual exchange 2010 server using full and diff backups of the whole server to tape and also be able to restore individual exchange items(emails, whole mailboxes and databases) if need be.

What agents do I need to purchase to satisfy the above requirements?

Do I need both a Hyper-V license and an application and database license? do I need two hyper-v licences (one for the datacenter host and one for the virtual exchange server itself) and a database license as well? I cant find any conclusive information on exactly what I need to purchase, so any help would be most appreciated.

Thx in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You need both a Hyper-V license as well as an Agent for Application and Databases licence

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BTW, BE 2014 does not support the use of Server 2012R2 as a media server. You need to upgrade to BE 15. The upgrade is free of you are on a current maintenance contract

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You would definitely need an Agent for Application & Database license for Exchange and the core Backup Exec license for the BE media server.

Is the Exchange VM a stand-alone machine or is it a distributed setup, like a DAG ?

If distributed, then you would need only the core Backup Exec license and then backup the Exchange VM as if it were a physical machine using the Agent for Application & Database license.

If standalone, then you would need only the core Backup Exec license and the virtual license to backup the VM as virtual and the Agent for Application & Database license as well. This requires an additional license. This will be beneficial if there are more VMs to backup.

P.S -> Backup Exec 2014 DOES support Windows 2012 R2. However, BE 15 is the latest version.

These KBs may help -

Licensing Guide - http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/other_resources/b-backup-exec-2014-licensing-guide-or-21329872.pdf

Windows 2012 R2 Support - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH196108.html

ahladmin
Level 2

Thanks for the info.

The Exchange VM is stand-alone, although it is replicated to another host using starwind, it is not in a DAG or anything like that.

If I only need one hyper-v license does the agent sit on the host then or the exchange vm itself?

If we later decide to actually move backupexec+tapedrive from the standalone server and install it directly on the host itself does that negate the need for the hyper-v license?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You need to load the remote agent on both the host and the VM. The Hyper-V license is used by the host. When you move BE to the host, nothing changes. All the licences are still needed