cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the IMG0000xx folders not erased from a RDX Cartridge in the B2D cycle?

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

Below is a screenshot of the file structure of a RDX 160GB Cartridge.
Whenever I run the erase command on the cartridge only the \VERITAS\B2D\*.bkf files are erased.
These IMG0000xx folders continually remain and cause the backups to fail because the cartridges run out of disk space for the next backup.
These folders contain backups of Microsoft Exchange.

Why are these folders not overwritten or erased in the B2D cycle?

51 REPLIES 51

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Pease check link below which descibes issue with not getting overwritten

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189356

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70364

Thanks

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Philip,

In addition to the above technotes, we do have a private fix for this issue which will be released after testing. If you want the fix before it is public hot fix then I would request you to open a support case with Symantec and then Tech support can help you to fix the issue with the private fix.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

Manual work arounds are not a solution especially if these issues have been around since version 12.5.
I want to set these backups going without having to log onto the server every second day to delete a bunch of IMG folders and files that should be automatically overwritten.

My backup exec settings already reflect the settings outlined in TECH189356. I have no issues overwriting the BKF files in the B2D folder only the IMG folders and files are not overwritten.

I have BE2012 - those hotfixes apply to version 12.5 and version 2010.

I set the inventory drive to a schedule, but I can't even see where that inventory job is available in the BE2012 console to confirm it's actually going to happen.

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Philip,

The private Orphan fix that I have mentioned is for Backup Exec 2012. So if you want the fix before it is released as a Public Hot fix then you may open a case with Symantec Support and they will be able to help with the fix.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

I'm using the trial version at present so will they give me access to the fix?

Sush---
Level 6

If you have a support contract then you will be able to open a case. Ones the case is opened then you will be provided with the fix even if you are using Trial version.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

I'm a reseller trialing the software for a client of mine.
The cilent has some support contracts based around System Recovery 2011 but nothing for BE2012.

I'm not moving the backup software away from CA R16 unless I can get this trial version working, hence my need for the fix.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Q

The cilent has some support contracts based around System Recovery 2011 but nothing for BE2012.

Ans :Best would be to call the suppor and check if they allow you to open the case or not checking all the information.

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...do you guys now offer support to trial products?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi Craig

The above answer from my post refer to question asked by OP

The cilent has some support contracts based around System Recovery 2011 but nothing for BE2012

So has OP client have got support for BESR product best would be to get in touch with support to see what best can be done.

Thanks

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

Seriously your technical support department is useless.
They wont help me because I have no support agreement on the product. I was bounced around to 3 different departments and nobody seems to comprehend what I'm asking for...

The whole point of trialing BE2012 is to ensure that it performs like it was intended. Why make a hotfix if it's not available to everyone?

All I want is the hotfix!

The fact that this issue has been around since BE 12.5 and still occurs in BE 2012 is very poor.

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Philip,

Why make a hotfix if it's not available to everyone?

This is currently a private fix and after all testing is done it will be released public for everyone to download and install it.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

Sush: All I want is the hotfix! I fail to understand why someone from Symantec cannot get in contact with me via email and provide me with a link to the hotfix so I can download and install the fix to see if it sorts out the issue outlined in this forum post.

Colin_Weaver

Hello Philip

Private hotfixes of this nature are similar to Beta Fixes and are only released in a controlled way to customers that definitely have the issue concerned and in order for us to get immediate feedback if the fix either a) works, b) makes no difference to the problem or c) makes something worse - which is rare.

In some cases a common error message can be caused by different background problems making a specific private fix invalid, having an open support case helps us to confirm this. Note in your case I think you do have the documented issue however it is not always so obvious without looking at debug logs

As such the process for our engineering team allowing the release of a private fix to a customer is via a support case not via a forum thread.

As an aside any customers that received Private fixes (known  as Orphans) by Symantec should not give them to any 3rd party companies without permission.

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

Colin: I can appreciate your procedures in relation to beta fixes, however this issue seems to have been around since Backup Exec versions 12.0, 12.5, appeared again in version 2010 and then again in Backup Exec 2012. It seems to me that you've had 3 iterations of the software to get this issue sorted and yet the problem still exists!

I have 17 days left of the BE2012 trial version. If this issue isn't fixed within that time period I will have no further choice as a reseller and a systems integrator to point my clients elsewhere for backup software. 

A little bit of professional courtesy and some special consideration surround this issue would go a long way to getting this issue resolved and potentially alleviating the problem for other users of your software with the same issue.

Bulbous
Level 5
Partner

I am also waiting for this hotfix. The Tech Notes posted above refer to BE 2010 and prior - is there a Tech Note for this issue for BE 2012?

samueljn
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Technote for BE 2012: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH192382

Colin_Weaver

Just to be clear this issue is a completely new problem for BE 2012 and relates to the differeces between Media Set Handling and the new DLM process. Any problems relating to IMG folders not deleting in older versions of Backup Exec were resolved and related to different back end processes.

If you are serious about intending to purchase backup Exec if you can see this compoennt working then please speak to our pre-sales teams and explain your issue, as a reseller you should have some form of pre-sales contact available to you.

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

I have spoken with symantec's technical support department and with various sales teams within symantec regarding this issue except that none of the employees I speak with seem to understand what I'm asking for. You'd think I was speaking another language with the complete lack of understand I've received from those departments. I spent over 30 minutes being bounced around between departments because no one could action and comprehend my request. In the end I gave up.

If you're really able to help Colin, then please provide me with a name and a number of someone who will actually be able to assist with this issue. Or point them to the forum post and have them email me.