cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need to erase every day?

LostAdmin
Not applicable
I have two HP LTO2 drives that are setup in a cascade drive pool. If I do not, after loading the days backup tapes, do an inventory and quick erase on both during the nights backups it will kick the tapes out due to insufficient overwritable/scratch media.

I checked the overwrites and append period thinking that it wasn't set correctly but I realized that the person who set the job up set the media information to:

0 hours overwrite protection
infinite - allow append

How I read that is that the tape can immediately be overwritten and appeneded indefinately until you are out of disk space then move to the start of the tape.

Is that correct?

If it is what would be causing my error for media reasons.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yeah, 0 overwrite should effectively be immediatly available, but why anyone would set that up, I have no idea.

does any data at all get written before the tapes are ejected?

Just for grins, try setting the overwrite protection on that media set to 1 day and amd when mounting the next two tapes, do an inventory. If the volume info shows up in blue you should be good to go, if it shows up in black, then BackupExec is still protecting that/those tape(s)Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. verify the level of protection defined. Set either to partial without prompt or complete.

2. Also check if you have set the Media overwrite options to overwrite scratch before recyclable or the other way round. Chack in either case if the required type of media is available.

3. Then check the size of the backup and the tape capacity. Refer to this document on the same:

Titre : Backups fail to get double the amount of the native capacity recorded to a media, even when hardware compression is being utilized.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/199542

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Hi,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply