cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Backup Exec Jobs keep stealing, thieving, pocketing, pilfering other Media sets!!

AceCrosley
Level 3

I’m running Backup Exec 2010 R3 V.13 Rev 5204 with a HP LTO Media library. I have to manage my backups as I have 35 jobs running 44 tapes in a week and a four week rotation the 1st week being a off site archive and second week being an injection of scratch to all media sets. Each Job has its own Media set as at the end of a project I have to destroy all the data.

I have set Tools – Options – Media Management to use recyclable media before scratch media as per http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459 (See Figure 5) and Media overwrite protection set to Partial.

This week I had 10 tapes from a Daily job and 60 Scratch Media in the drive as it is week 2. Two weekly Archive jobs stole, thieved, pocketed, pilfered a tape each from the Daily pool. I just need to understand what’s happening! The rule is 1. Write to overwritable 2. If no overwritable write to scratch 3. If no scratch pull from another media set.

Backup Exec is not following the rule as laid out by Symantec. I can't partision as this would this would be a pain in my ... so what am I missing. When I come to look at a projects written media list to destroy all the media that has ever been used for said job I can see that media is in the drive currently being used for another job. At no point does it not have enough scratch as I keep a minimun of 20 at all times! ARGH!

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE follow the procedure laid out in this document when it comes to searching for writable media

How Backup Exec searches for overwritable media

Do ensure that there are overwritable tape in the targeted media set BEFORE the start of the job.

I have encountered occasions when BE refuses to write to an overwritable tape.  My way to solve this problem is to move the problem tape to the retired media set, right-click and then select delete to delete the tape from BE.  I then scan/inventory the tape to introduce it back to BE.

You might want to go to the BE installation directory and use BEUtility to repair the BEDB.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE follow the procedure laid out in this document when it comes to searching for writable media

How Backup Exec searches for overwritable media

Do ensure that there are overwritable tape in the targeted media set BEFORE the start of the job.

I have encountered occasions when BE refuses to write to an overwritable tape.  My way to solve this problem is to move the problem tape to the retired media set, right-click and then select delete to delete the tape from BE.  I then scan/inventory the tape to introduce it back to BE.

You might want to go to the BE installation directory and use BEUtility to repair the BEDB.