cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Backup Exec disconnects the currently connected users in Oracle database during running of backup?

Onins
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Why does Backup Exec disconnects the currently connected users in Oracle database during running of backup? We have notice that the users in Oracle database are disconnected every time we run a backup job. Your thoughts and explanation to this?

Regards,

Onins

10 REPLIES 10

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you make use of the Oracle Agent for Backup Exec ?

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Does this occur when performing an AVVI Backup from an ESX(i) server? If yes you might have to shutdown the oracle services prior to the backup by modifying the freeze/thaw scripts. This will only be for 30-90 seconds until the snapshot on the esx was taken, after that the services can startup again.

Onins
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Yes I already used the Oracle agent. Backup jobs do run smoothly, but the thing is I want to know why current users of database disconnects everytime backup jobs run. Is this normal, just want to know the explanation to this.

Thanks and regards,

Onins

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Could it be that your databases are in NOARCHIVELOG mode so the databases are forced offline when BE takes a backup via RMAN?

Onins
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I am not sure about it. But if that is the case then how do I configure the database to remove from NOARCHIVELOG mode? Regards, Onins

Onins
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi pkh,

Thank you very much for the link you provided, it was very helpful indeed. But the database instance was already set to ARCHIVELOG mode when the users are disconnected during running of backup jobs. It just feel strange why users are disconnected while backup jobs run. Don't know what is the main reason for this.

Regards,

Onins

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Onins
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi ZeRoC00L, Thanks for the technote. Indeed very helpful. Can you give me an explanation on this scenario. Is this normal or is there something wrong as to why current users disconnects the database everytime backup jobs run. Regards, Onins

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Dont now exactly, but what can happen is that the server is overloaded during the backup (or overloading the NIC), and therefore the endusers get a timeout wile connecting to the oracle application.