cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does opening a job log take so long?

Artegic
Level 6

This has been bugging me for months, so I thought I'd put the question to the community:

When I doubleclick a job in the main window of the Backup Exec 2012 console, it takes fifteen seconds to open its job log window. This is extremely annoying when chasing the many malfunctions which that product continues to produce. This is on a dual hex core Xeon with 16 GB of RAM, not exactly a small machine I'd reckon. According to Task Manager the system is virtually idle during that time. (<5% CPU, <50% physical memory)

Displaying a logfile on a screen is one of the simplest tasks imaginable. Why is it taking so much time?

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I suspect this was a known issue with BE itself and a complaint of many people. Check the Known Issues section on the link below and see if it is listed there:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/issues

Why not consider an upgrade to BE 2014 which is technically free as long as you have active maintenance with Symantec?

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Usually reasons are AV scans, large size of the log file, large size of the BE's DB.

If it takes a long time to open only certain log files and not all, then check the size of the .xml files in the Data directory. Possibly, these affected files are larger than the rest and probably causing slow parsing.

You could consider a repair install of BE along with other components such as MSXML and .NET

Artegic
Level 6

I have no idea why you assume I didn't consider an upgrade to BE 2014. I do. The current obstacles to this are already being discussed elsewhere in this forum.

A search for "slow", "delay" or "wait" in the Backup Exec 2012 Known Issues didn't turn up anything.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Now now, not looking for a fight...I simply asked that if you weren't considering an upgrade, it might be an option.

Thanks!