cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the backup job use the AOFO when it isn't selected?

CharAznable0079
Level 4

I am backing up data that is on a SAN using Backup Exec 2010 R3.  I am not backing up the SAN data via NDMP.  The data I am backing up is assigned to a server where I am backing it up.  According to my SAN admin Backup Exec is generating SAN Snapshots and is not cleaning them up. 

The job log is saying:

AOFO: Started for resource: "\\lfbwprddb1.sap.littelfuse.com\R:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume R: - Data ONTAP VSS Hardware Provider (Version 6. 4. 0. 5234). Network control connection is established between 10.4.125.2:56674 <--> 10.4.5.236:10000 Network data connection is established between 10.4.125.2:56831 <--> 10.4.5.236:49156

The Advanced Open File Option is not selected in the job at all.  Why is it generating VSS snapshots even though I don't have AOFO checked in the job?

4 REPLIES 4

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the Operating System from which data is getting backed up?

If its Windows 2008 and above then by default it will use Microsoft VSS to take the snapshot of the selected volume and back it up. This change is from Microsoft itself and is irrelevant of AOFO is selected or not.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CharAznable0079
Level 4

What is the point of the AOFO tab in the Job Properties then?  If it only covers Symantec's proprietary AOFO software why does it allow you to specify Microsoft's VSS?  Is there a way to force the backup NOT to use snapshots?

teiva-boy
Level 6

Symantec's own AOFO was for Win2000 ONLY.  VSS didn't exist in that OS.

VSS which was introduced in Win2003, is what Microsoft recommends to use for snapshots, and was pretty much mandated with Win2k8 going forward.

You could disable VSS, but that would be a bad idea for a lot of reasons.

Ultimately, do you want to backup open files or not?  That will determine the use of VSS or not.  If snapshots are not being cleaned up, I'd check your patch levels not just on BackupExec media servers and remote agents.  But also your NetApp Snapshot provider as well.

CharAznable0079
Level 4

I understand the history of VSS and AOFO as I've been using Backup Exec since NT days. 

I also know that you can specify the exact provider and force it to use Microsoft's VSS instead of the hardware provider.

My confusion arose over why unchecking the AOFO checkboxes causes SQL to not use snapshot technology but didn't affect flat file snapshots.  Since it gives the option to specify providers I mistakenly assumed that it was all Open File Technology instead of just controlling the legacy AOFO solution.