cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my remote backup taking so long????

S_T_2
Level 4
I am running my backup late night while there is no activity on the network (i think) but when i'm backing up my remote servers, it takes like 6 -9 mb/min.

1 location w/3g takes 8-10hrs... we are running on a frame T-1 line and boy is it slow..

ANy way to BOOOST it up??? i've tried to bu to disk but same results.

Thanks for your help.

ST
36 REPLIES 36

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
a full T1 is only 1.5Mb/sec, but you should be getting more them 6-9 MB/min

First thing that I would check is teo Verify that all NICs/Swichports are NOT set to Autonegotiate. hardset them to whatever is appropriate for your network

Steve_TYiybg
Level 4
I dont know how this could be a backup exec issue.
What happens if you copy about 500megs from the remote server to the media server ?

Try http://ranvik.net/totalcopy/ this should determine if you have a network issue

Steve_Brown_3
Level 4
I agree with Ken's assertion regarding confirming Network interface and switch settings. Setting all the speeds to the appropriate level will ensure best operation. If all relevent devices support it, I would suggest Full Duplex over Half Duplex as well.

Once I did this on a few of our servers, performance lept from 23MB/min to 400MB/min and more.

I would also consider using incrementals across slow links where possible, and maybe even investigate ways that incrementals can be run indefinitely without the risk of losing data.

Hope that helps

Steve

S_T_2
Level 4
I've set my 4 remote servers to 100mb/Full Duplex.

I'll see if this will help over the weekend.

THANKS!!!

ST

S_T_2
Level 4
Not much difference.

I've gained about 1mb/min...

Any other ideas would be WONDERFUL!!!

ST

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Extremely slow backup performance has been observed during Remote backup jobs involving networks using 100 Megabit cards. More often than not, other problems such as lost connections may also be present during the backup jobs.
If the 100 Megabit cards are replaced with 10 Megabit cards, the backup speed has been observed to increase to normal levels.

To troubleshoot this problem, check the Backup Servers and Remote Servers for the following:

* Insure that all 100 Megabit cards, hubs and routers are set for either Full or Half duplex operation. Mixing Half and Full duplex operations on the same network can cause a variety of problems to occur. If it does not function well at full duplex, try setting everything to half duplex.

* Verify that the BEREMOTE.NLM is running on the Remote Servers. This can be done by typing MODULES at the server console and look for the NLM. The BESTART.NCF file on the server should contain the LOAD BEREMOTE.NLM line for version 5.01x through 7.01b. In the case of Version 7.11x or above, the -tr switch should be present on the 2nd line of the BESTART.NCF file ( Example: LOAD BKUPEXEC.NLM -tr ). BEREMOTE.NLM is an Agent Accelerator included with the Backup Exec product.

* Verify that the current version of the Network Card driver NLM's are running on the file server. Old drivers can cause multiple problems with speed and connection reliability as well as data integrity problems.

* Verify that the Network Cards have the most current Firmware installed on them. Again, speed, reliability and data integrity problems can be affected by the Firmware.

* In extreme cases, it may be necessary to replace the Network cards with a newer revision of the cards. Check with the card manufacturer to see if this is the case for the existing cards in the network.

In a few cases, it has been observed that extremely slow backups have occurred while backup server was doing a backup of its own local volumes.

In these cases, unbinding and unloading the NLM's for the network card has allowed the backup of the local hard drive to proceed at normal speed.

Ultimately, replacing the Network card has resolved the problem.

Patches can be located on the Novell support web site.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks.

Please revert if we have not answered your querry properly.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

S_T_2
Level 4
Hi Shraddha!

Thanks for the info...
I am at a loss as to check the NLM??? I went to the cmd prompt and typed MODULE but it did not work... Is this where I'm suppose to run it?

ALso, i have searched for the BEREMOTE.NLM & BESTART.NLM are not on either of my servers (BU server & remotes)

Most servers i am remotely connecting to are built in NIC's... i will update those drivers.

THanks.

ST

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
That paragraph was for BackupExec for Netware. Loading an NLM is roughly equivalent to starting a service

The Windows equivalent would be "verify that the BERemote service is installed and running on the remote computer"

S_T_2
Level 4
Gotcha.

We dont have Netware.

BERemote.exe are running on my remote servers.

Is there unbinding and unloading avail w/in Windows?

ST

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
unbinding and unloading = stop the service

Shailendra_Agar
Level 3
Hi Ken
I have similar problem but its also on the local server and remore server hosted locally on LAN with 1 Gig network cards .
i have checked all the services and they all are running fine.
could you please recommend what should I do about this.

Thanks in advance

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
For remote Backups, verify that AutoNegotiate is NOT enabled on NICs and switch ports. Hard set to the fastest speed that your network topography will support. 100/Full or 1000/Full

For local backups, if you go to the devices tab, right click the tape drive adn select properties, what are the settings for

Block size'
Buffer Size
Nbr of buffers

also what are the settings for
pass through
single block

Shailendra_Agar
Level 3
It was on auto negotiate mode i have changed it to 100/full

on my local server

Block size 64 K
Buffer Size 64K
buffer count 10
High water count 0

Write SCSI PAss through mode and write single block mode are checked

S_T_2
Level 4
I have updated the drivers and no change.
What else to look for?

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Block size looks OK

I'd set buffer size to either 128K or 256K

Pasthru should NOT be checked if the drive is directly connected to the media server, only if it is on a SAN

Both single block settings should be unselected, as they totally bypass buffering

Shailendra_Agar
Level 3
Hi Ken
I have set the buffer size to 256 and unselected both the check box as the drive is directly connected to my server.
I will inform how it performed after the backup .

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please update us on the issue...............

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Shailendra_Agar
Level 3
Hi
The local backup was ok but on the network after converting both the servers on full duplex 100 Mbps
i got the error mentioned below after 2 hours of backup and

Backed up 236 mail messages in 10 folders in 1 mailbox(es)
Processed 2,122,162 bytes in 2 hours, 19 minutes, and 3 seconds.
Throughput rate: 0.015 MB/min

Job ended: Friday, May 19, 2006 at 8:57:07 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.
Final error category: Resource Errors

S_T_2
Level 4
HELLO!!!?!?!???

CAN WE get back to the ORIGINAL POSTING?? SLOW NETWORK BACKUP?

MY local backups are fine.