cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why "Backup ExWhy "Backup Exec Deduplication Managec Deduplication Manager service" is not running ?

sy_nattapon
Level 4

I found the "Backup Exec Deduplication Manager service" is not running.

In this case, I have solved by link à https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100001309
(I try to restart windows, but its staying not running)

I want to know that

- Why "Backup Exec Deduplication Manager service" is not running ?
- Why after restart windows, it’s staying not running ?
- What are the factors that make this happen?

Could you please help me to investigate for preventive protection this problem ?

11 REPLIES 11

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
Paste the errors which you get recorded in event viewer when manually trying to start dedupe manager A.K.A spad fails. If possible also check dedupefolder\log\spad\spad.log for clues.

Was it working earlier ? Did anything change post which the spad isn’t running ? Is PostgreSQL service running ?

Hello Gurvinder,

Thanks for your help and respond.

Was it working earlier ?

- Yes,it working earlier.I'm not sure why/when this service is not running.

Did anything change post which the spad isn’t running ?

- No,- It's not anything change.

Is PostgreSQL service running ?

- On that time, PostgreSQL service is running, "Backup Exec Deduplication Managec Deduplication Manager service is not running.

I cannot find informationabout this error on spad.log.

Please help me to find out the error log.

Gurvinder

try starting the dedupe manager service, when it fails to start, check the eventvwr --> application logs. Share the errors or review and search for solution with the errors you see in the event viewer

Thanks for your help.

I cannot find the error about Backup Exec Deduplication Managec Deduplication Manager service.

could you please help me find out the error on attached event log file ?

I want to know why/when this service not running.

Thanks so much

Gurvinder

cant see it in the application event logs that you shared. Check the dedupe folder\log\spad\spad.log

The spad.log don't show about Backup Exec Deduplication Managec Deduplication Manager service.

Please see the attached picture

Gurvinder
Download procmon tool from Microsoft and start it, then start the spad service. When the error is seen, stop capturing in procmon. Save the file ( all events ) in PML format. Make sure to launch procmon, start service and stop capturing quickly else the procmon log file size increases. See if you can zip and attach the procmon log here else I am not sure what this could be. I am hoping you did reboot the server as well to check if it helped.

Thank you so much for your help.

I don't have permision to install/run another application right now.

I focus on the question that Why "Backup Exec Deduplication Manager service" is not running ?

I have to summay this problem to reporting. But, I cannot summarize this root case.

Gurvinder
This is just a package which runs on the fly. If there isn’t an error in event viewer or spad log then a different approach is needed.

Thank so much for your suggestion

I don't have permit to run any app on this server.

Could you please let me know that What are the factors that make this service is not running ?