cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't BE2014 recognize my old backup sets?

RunBMC
Level 3

We are currently using BE2014 to backup up Exchange.  Nothing tricky.  We keep a couple weeks of backup sets on local storage while also sending everything offsite.  I now need to restore some mailboxes from 2014.   I've retrieved the .bkf files and B2D folders from offsite and have placed them back into the B2D storage that they were originally in when they were created.  However no matter what I do (restart server, restart BE services, inventory, catalog) I can't get BE2014 to see the backup sets.

I've tried to do a restore and they don't show up on the B2D storage from here either.  I've searched high and low and haven't found a solution online.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in adance!
-Bryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RunBMC
Level 3

Thank you everyone for your responses, I really do appreciate you taking the time.  I was able to move my .bkf files and IMG backup to disk folders to a newly created drive on my server.  I then created a new B2D drive in Backup Exec and pointed it to this newly created drive.  I then inventoried and cataloged the storage and voila!  I now have my data.   Hope someone else can use these steps.

Thanks again and I will certainly look at my backup strategy from here on out!
-Bryan

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Bryan,

how did you get the backup sets onto the offsite storage? Did you copy them, or duplicate them, or just remove removable drives?

If you copied them, then you might face issues as this is not recommended.

That said, have you made sure the date range for the restore is correct?

Thanks!

RunBMC
Level 3

Thank you for your response Craig!   I use a service called Crashplan which basically copies them to their cloud storage.  I then let BE remove the backup sets after a couple weeks.

Yes, I have made sure that my date range is set properly (1/1/2014 - 5/7/2015).

I can't imagine I can't get this data back however.  Any solutions?
Thanks again,
-Bryan

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I think this may be  relevant, and not good news.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061

Reasons why backing up or copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.

RunBMC
Level 3

Thanks for the info Larry.  I still can't believe that I can't get my data back.  In reading that article, it does detail the reasons why it's not a good idea, but I believe that none of the "what if" scenarios applies to my case.  My B2D folders have been incrementing in number along with my .bkf files and there has never been any overlap.

Has anyone been in this situation or will I be stuck calling Symantec?

Thanks again!
-Bryan

RunBMC
Level 3

One more related question.  Why is my "Scan" button grayed out at the top of BE14?   I would think scanning my B2D folder might yield some results, but it's grayed out.

CraigV

...as I mentioned you shouldn't copy backup files on disk.

You can try using NTbackup to do the restore, but I think that if you call Symantec directly, you might still be in a position where you can't restore. However, I don't think anyone here can help you, so you might as all call their support center.

Thanks!

RunBMC
Level 3

Thanks Craig.  At least I have the actual Exchange data (.edb's, logs..etc).   So in the end, I should be able to recreate, I might just have to do it the hard way.

CraigV

...no idea on the Scan part, but you possibly don't have to recreate the Exchange server. Get hold of Kernel for Exchange (you need to purchase the license) and it will crack open the *.edb so you can get to the emails you need too.

Don't copy your *;bkf files from now on...duplicate them as you will be able to restore properly.

Cheers!

RunBMC
Level 3

Thank you everyone for your responses, I really do appreciate you taking the time.  I was able to move my .bkf files and IMG backup to disk folders to a newly created drive on my server.  I then created a new B2D drive in Backup Exec and pointed it to this newly created drive.  I then inventoried and cataloged the storage and voila!  I now have my data.   Hope someone else can use these steps.

Thanks again and I will certainly look at my backup strategy from here on out!
-Bryan