cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will BE agent ver.12.5.2213 158 work with BackupExec 2010?

Thomas_Mackey
Level 4
or do I have to install 2010 agents on workstations.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
generally, BackupExec media servers are certified to talk to agents one level down, so, yes - a 2010 media server will talk to a v12.5 Remote Agent

That being said, the SCL specifically states that this is supported "during the upgrade process"  To meet the Symantec licensing policy, your agents need to be at the same version level as your media server

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
generally, BackupExec media servers are certified to talk to agents one level down, so, yes - a 2010 media server will talk to a v12.5 Remote Agent

That being said, the SCL specifically states that this is supported "during the upgrade process"  To meet the Symantec licensing policy, your agents need to be at the same version level as your media server

LL_CooL_Gee
Level 3
Partner
Hi, I'm not pretty sure if I got your question correctly but here's a basic information regarding Backup Exec. Backup 12.5 license key will not work with version 2010 software since it is not forwards compatible. If you are running version 2010 software you must have a version 2010 license keys, if you are running version 12.5 you can install either 12.5 keys or 2010 since version 2010 is backwards compatible. Regards.... If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
What Ken said is correct, a 2010 media server can backup the remote server with 12.5 agent installed but vice-versa is not possible. Also it is recommended to have the remote servers updated because you might get the exception in the job log stating that remote servers are not updated and in some cases like exchange your backup can fail as well. It is very important to have the remote agents updated

Besides that I don't understand why you don't want to upgrade the agents as that will be definately a licensing oblegation

Thomas_Mackey
Level 4
Thanks ALL.
We will of course update the agents for our servers.
But it is a real pain to try to update ALL the workstations at one time.