cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Backup exec 2012 work with a HP lto-6 tape drive on Windows server 2003 x64?

LostInCyberSpac
Level 2

Hello experts.

I need a definitive answer on this.

The new HP lto-6 tape drives say they do not come with drivers for Windows server 2003.

But the Backup exec HCL has the HP lto-6 drives listed as being supported with the backup exec tape driver.

Does this mean that if i use the Backup Exec device drivers for the HP lto-6 drive it will actually work on Windows server 2003 x64 even though there's no hp driver's available for 2003?

The specific device in question is a HP Ultrium 6650 lto6  External Backup Drive EH964A

We have corporate policies preventing us from upgrading to Windows server 2008.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

POST EDITED:  I asked internally about this and apparently our driver is not directly based on the current HP releases. Our Certification Labs team are now checking on your query.

EDITED UPDATE 2: "The HP Storage Tape Drivers for Windows" states that they support Windows 2003 and "Installs Windows drivers for HP Storage Tape Drives, Tape Autoloaders and Tape Libraries"

See : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

As such you should perhaps reconfirm with HP and we stand by our support document at this current time. It is possible that what the sales rep for HP was trying to say was that they don't provide a driver because the driver that as part of the operating system meets the requirements - which would mean no driver supplied with the hardware but that it is still supported.

--------

From a Tech Support perspective: we normally expect the device to be visible (in the operating system) and not showing any error or driver warnings before you actually install or configure Backup Exec to see it - you will not be able to achieve this with a drive that does not support the operating system.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6

HCL says it is supported with ~ Required driver support can be found in "DDI 2012 20120615". Use latest DDI available: <http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189571>

DDI refers to Device Driver Installer, i.e. Symantec drivers. If it is listed in the HCL, it means it is tested & supported.

Which doc are you referring to about Windows 2003 not being explicitly supported with HP Ultrium 6650 LTO 6 ?

LostInCyberSpac
Level 2

Thanks for the reply VJware.

The info from HP I was referring to was an e-mail from HP's pre-sales support which said:

"In regards to your request  there are NO Drivers for Windows 2003 for the LTO 6 Tape drives. Your solution will not work with LTO 6. There are drivers up to LTO 5 for Windows 2003."

"For LTO 6 use the server must be using Windows 2008 or 2008 R2 or 2012 operating systems."

If this information is incorrect then that's great.

Colin_Weaver

POST EDITED:  I asked internally about this and apparently our driver is not directly based on the current HP releases. Our Certification Labs team are now checking on your query.

EDITED UPDATE 2: "The HP Storage Tape Drivers for Windows" states that they support Windows 2003 and "Installs Windows drivers for HP Storage Tape Drives, Tape Autoloaders and Tape Libraries"

See : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

As such you should perhaps reconfirm with HP and we stand by our support document at this current time. It is possible that what the sales rep for HP was trying to say was that they don't provide a driver because the driver that as part of the operating system meets the requirements - which would mean no driver supplied with the hardware but that it is still supported.

--------

From a Tech Support perspective: we normally expect the device to be visible (in the operating system) and not showing any error or driver warnings before you actually install or configure Backup Exec to see it - you will not be able to achieve this with a drive that does not support the operating system.