cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will standard Windows Remote Agent backup SQL Server?

Hank
Level 3
Partner
I'm running BUEX 12.5 on Windows 2008 server. I have a SQL Server 2005 running on a remote server.

I have the standard Windows remote agent installed on the SQL server box, and it seems that it will allow me to backup the databases and logs. At least, I do get the option to check them when I am making my selection list.

Can I just use this agent to back up/restore SQL Server safely? What's the advantage of purchasing the SQL Server agent?

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

CrazyKen
Level 3
There are far too many features it adds than I should mention here.  Please download the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Administrators Guide and check page 1315 in BEWS12AdminGuide_BeAdmin_en.pdf.

To sum one thing up, restoring a database is different than that of a file.  Most files are not being modified by multiple people throughout the day.  Restoring a database from tape could bring you back to a point of the last successful backup, but it will not contain the latest transactions.  Restoring with the latest transactions isn't always possible and is a tast best suited for the DBA.  You should consult with your DBA to find out what can be done to minimize data loss and work with him/her on a backup strategy for the database.

DunFraggin
Level 4
Without an SQL licence installed on your Backup Exec media server you will not be able to 'see' the SQL instance installed on your remote SQL server in teh selection list window.  To be able to do this and to then use the remote agent to complete a SQL backup you will need to have an SQL agent licence.
If you do not have a licence and are not planning on purchasing one then you could possibly create a SQL maintenance plan to perform a SQL DB backup to disk and then use teh remote agent to collect the bak file to tape.  We use a similar process for our non-critical SQL DBs and also include log backups every 15 mins too which are also added to teh tape job.  Just be sure to get the timings right so the tape job runs after the SQL maintenance plan has finished.

Ruchi
Level 5
Employee Certified
Right now you are able to see SQL databases because Backup exec will giv eyou a default 60 days Evaluation Period, upto 60 days you can backup the databases. However after 60 days ,you will be able to backup everything on the server except SQL databases.

Kali_Elysees
Level 3
Employee

What's the advantage of purchasing the SQL Server agent?

Efficiently eliminate the daily backup window for SQL servers and enable recovery of database transactions that have been made right up to the time of the hardware or software failure. Additionally, flexible recovery options allow IT administrators to restore SQL databases to destinations other than where they originated, directing a copy of the actual data streams being sent to media by a SQL database to a local directory for later use. The SQL Server 2005 snapshots are integrated into the Backup Exec catalog for a consolidated look at all data copies available for recovery in seconds. This agent provides SQL Server 7.0, SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005 and 2008 administrators with granular protection on 32- and 64-bit systems down to the individual database or file group.

Source:  http://www.symantec.com/business/products/agents_options.jsp?pcid=pcat_business_cont&pvid=57_1

More Info: http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/other_resources/b-brief_be_sql_server_protection_03-200...

Hinata_Uzumaki
Level 3
Employee
To backup SQL agents, you must install two keys. One for the SQL itself and one for the Windows remote server where SQL is running.

That's why when you purchase a BUE SQL Agent license, you will receive two keys.

If you dont have this license (BUE SQL Agent), you wont be able to backup entirely your SQL agent.

James_Symantec
Level 2
Do you have to install the full version of Backup exec on the SQL server, or will the remote agent be sufficient?

Ruchi
Level 5
Employee Certified
Remote agent will be sufficient, your backup exec server will be able to backup SQL databases remotely.

James_Symantec
Level 2
The Windows remote agent did not ask for a SQL Agent license key.  Is this by design or did I miss a step?

Ruchi
Level 5
Employee Certified
While installing the remote agen software, it will not ask for any key, because the keys are to be installed on the media (backup exec ) server itself.