cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win2k3 IDR backup device not detected for restore

Lee_Mather
Level 2
Hi,

I've been spending some time familiarising myself with the restoration procedures using the IDR module for Backup Exec 10.0.

So far I've had no problems at all up until now.

The server in question is a Dell PowerEdge 2650 running Windows 2003 Server with Service Pack 1. Backup Exec 10.0 with service pack 1 is installed and functions perfectly when performing normal backup/restores.

The backup device I'm currently using is a Quantum DLT8000 which is connected to an Adaptec 29320A-R. All hardware except for the SCSI card has drivers included in Win2k3. However I have updated all the drivers and firmware for the relevant hardware.

I am able to perform a full backup of the system and create the IDR CD without any problems. As I'm only familiarising myself with the process I'm restoring to the exact same hardware as I've just backed up.

To restore I restart the system with the IDR CD in. As with previous systems all this goes through fine until I get to the stage where it looks for the backup device from which to restore the data. At this point the software fails to detect the Quantum DLT 8000.

The device is found at start-up by the SCSI BIOS and has worked fine on other servers, the only difference on this server being the new Adaptec 29320A-R SCSI card.

I have installed Backup Exec 10.0 to use the Veritas Device Drivers, Windows Device Drivers and OEM Device Drivers and each time I've had the same result.

I have also tried pressing F6 at the start of the IDR process and installed the Adaptect 29320A-R driver here but this hasn't had any effect either.

Can anyone see if it's a mistake on my part, configuration problem, hardware or software issue please?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lee Mather
Swordfish Studios Ltd.
9 REPLIES 9

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
don`t know whether this is related to your problem, - but
version 10 SP1 does not support IDR of win 2003 SP1 !!

You need Hotfix 23 in addition to SP1 to be able to IDR a SP1 pached win 2003 - or better - install BEWS 10 build 5520 instead of build 5484 !

Recreate your IDR CD and ASR Files - and see what happens.

Regards

uz

Lee_Mather
Level 2
Thanks UZ. I've tried that with the same result as before.

Anyone got any more ideas?

Thanks again.

Lee

towwei_lim
Level 3
Partner
lee,

i have similar problem with 29320 card from adaptec (my case was with an adaptec OEM card to IBM). try using another scsi card, it should work.

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Is Windows Backup able to use the tapedrive after IDR ?

If no - try to uninstall the SCSI Card and reinstall it with custom drivers -

If this does not help - sorry, go for the solution mentioned above.
regards
uz

Norbert_Kraft
Level 3
I experienced a similar behaviour once when SCSI Disks and backup device was on the same scsi Adapter.
(there is a recommendation from Veritas somewhere, that you should not connect Tape device and disks onto the same scsi Channel

Lee_Mather
Level 2
I have tried using Windows backup and this had no problems with the device.

I've not tried using ASR with a backup performed using Windows backup....is that even possibe?

It's looking to me like my only option is to buy another, older, slower, less well featured SCSI card for now until this issue is resolved.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Lee

Norbert_Kraft
Level 3
That was the same behaviour on my machine:
I was able to run an Windows ASR and the restore of that windows ASR Backup worked,
However restore of IDR did not find the Restore device until I put the device on its own channel.

Lee_Mather
Level 2
I've just tried using Windows backup and ASR with exectly the same results.

Looks like my only option is to swap the SCSI card, or for now I may try backing up to disk across the LAN.

Thanks again,

Lee

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you have mentioned here , this problem can occur because of differance in SCSI card,.
Try swapping it and verify the result.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.