cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 2003 SBS and BE2014

Dale_Korsmo
Level 2

I am a Backup Exec novice, I help a Non-Profit with their Windows 2003 Small Business Server.  We installed BE2012 a year and a half ago, and have had a number of problems, but they just got worse when we installed SP4.  Now support says that the only way to resolve two of those problems is by upgrading to BE2014.  So I downloaded BE2014 to try it out, and we passed the pre-check, except for the part that says we need to install the latest Microsoft ADK to ensure our ability to recover our C: drive.  It also says that this ADK requires a minimum of Win 2008 Server.  Hmmmm.  So I looked in the Software Compatability List, and while Windows 2003 Server SP2 is listed, Windows 2003 SBS is not.  Also, while Exchange 2007 is listed, Exchange 2003 is not.  So I cancelled the installation.  Can someone tell me if our server is compatible with BE2014?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  Unfortunately, SBS 2003 is not listed in the SCL and hence it is not supported.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  Unfortunately, SBS 2003 is not listed in the SCL and hence it is not supported.

lmosla
Level 6

Hi Dale,

your best bet would be to install and try out Backup Exec 2010R3 sp4

Dale_Korsmo
Level 2

Non-profit organizations typically purchase their software through TechSoup, where Symantec donates a special version of Backup Exec.  For the heavily discounted price, they stipulate that this version is not upgradeable.  So when I go to the Symantec download site, I am only able to see Backup Exec 2012, since that is the version we bought. 

The sad part is that this version is so bad, Symantec is not going to fix it, instead they are instructing users to upgrade to BE2014.  However, for us to upgrade would mean purchasing BE2014, which we considered until we learned that it would not work on our Win2003 SBS server.  So I guess Backup Exec is no longer an option for me.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Server 2003 is also very close to EOL